Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you afford to quilt if..... >

How do you afford to quilt if.....

How do you afford to quilt if.....

Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 AM

I make scrap quilts so my stash goes farther than if I would make quilts that need matching fabrics. I buy fabric when its on sale at LQS. If you have a JoAnns in your area get on the mailing list and buy fabric using the coupons.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:27 AM

My unemployment has run out, so have virtually no income to speak of. I enjoy the boxes of scraps and am trying to use what I have on hand until I find a job. My mom is a huge 'investor' in my quilts also. She takes me shopping when I see her as she knows that this is the one thing holding me together right now. Just lots of prayers!!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:30 AM

Some quilt guilds will have a table of Ufo's. Grab a couple of them. Usually the catch is you have to give it back to sell at a fundraiser. This can feed your need without spending any money.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:48 AM

The QuiltedQuail.com is having a GREAT SALE today. By a combination of their on clearance fabrics totalling 8 yards and you only pay for the 4 most expensive yards. They have some really nice fabric for 3.99, 4.99 Check it out!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 AM

Believe me, it's hard. In the winter I have fuel oil bills, insurance, and other necessities. Have to wait until the summer to have my winter projects quilted. That's a bummer, and then we don't get a raise in SS.

I also sew my left over batting together to use it all up,on small quilts mostly,I just can't see throwing that good batting away,I have bags in my closet,I just tell my longarmer to stiple that way it is quilted close together,and have never had a problem

Originally Posted by Dollysquiltingmom
How do you afford to quilt if you live on a fixed income? With the prices going up on everything. My paycheck does not go as far as it did just 3 years ago. I have had to sell some of my fabric just to buy batting, so if it is getting hard for me, and I work was just wondering how you are doing it on a fix income? Maybe you have some tricks or tips on how to make your money go further.

Thanks
Jackie
Hi Jackie... Me and DH are retired on a fixed income. I can't work as I am a caregiver for my 84 yr. old Mom. I have a stash built from..Yardsales,DD's buying fabric,Getting HobbyLobby gift cards,ETC. My 2 DD's go to yardsales and when they see fabric they get it for me. My stash is not corrdinated by buying that special brand so you can go from dark to light. Most of the time I use what I have on hand and add to what I have if I need a certain color. Just takes time.
Sometimes it is hard,especially when something unexpected comes up that requires Money. just keep on quilting you will find a way to get your fabric. BillsBonBon
Old 04-12-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dollysquiltingmom
Thank You. You guys are so smart, you know how to make your money last.
My four sons feel they have to give Mom flowers for every special day. I finally got the nerve to ask them to give me a check for the amount they'd spend on flowers. Some I use to help re-landscape my yard and the rest goes for sewing. That's if the car doesn't break down which it has twice in the last month. It's an "89 Buick 4 door, has great gas mileage and only has 31,000 miles on it. Besides, two of my sons are top mechanics. Used to race cars. Did I luck out or what?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:52 AM

The thing to keep in mind is what I think of as traditional quilting.
They used whatever they had on hand and could find, scraps, old clothing (think Gees Bend).
My mom's cousin taught me to sew and she had the attitude that if it was fabric it could be used in a quilt. He mom hand stitched quilts from men's used wool jackets and pants.
I have a friend on a very tight fixed budget. She lets people know she quilts and can use fabric scraps, clothing etc. She has a HUGE stash (I just helped her unpack it after a move) and has bought very little of it.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 AM

Quilters are so generous, I'll bet if you asked here on the board, people would send you fabrics, thread, etc. so you can keep on quilting. Those of us who have huge stashes would not miss one piece of fabric and it would mean so much to a quilter on a fixed income. I'm in, how about you?