Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you afford to quilt if..... >

How do you afford to quilt if.....

How do you afford to quilt if.....

Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 AM

I haven't found too much fabric at thrift stores.Maybe its all getting scooped up before I get there. And I always for get about using flannel for batting. I am going to have to try it.
I have been just not buying. Trying to use up what is in my stash
Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 AM

I am finishing up my first Quilt for Kids. By contacting www.quiltsforkids.org and signing up they sent the pattern and fabric for creating a quilt to be sent back for distribution to children's hospitals. I am using some batting I had left over from other projects for the sandwich. The only cost will be the postage for shipping back.

I have benefited from others with supplies for quilting projects. the women in my United Methodist Women's group will find things at home and other places and share their finds with me for the prayer covers and children's quilts we put together.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 AM

Recycling is great along with the thrift stores I buy batting on Amazon it is the cheapest I have found I paid about 80.00 for 25 yards and I love it I don't have to worry about buying everytime I need it.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Places I find GOOD fabric, new and old, stashes and notions, and unfinished projects than can be cannibalized for material-----

Flea markets and yard sales

Rummage/Community sales: prices are very low, as a rule

Goodwill/Salvation Army/Hospice/Church Thrift Stores: let them know what you are looking for, some may also have clothing unsuited for sale but salvageable. I volunteered at a church thrift store and found they toss items of clothing and also bundle unsalable clothing for recycling by a local relief organization. Volunteers could also purchase items at 1/2 the already low price. Men's 100 % cotton dress shirts in larger sizes are a gold mine of material.

Thrift Store bag sales: they manage merchandise with off-season bargains; all you can stuff in a bag for one low price.

Shirt/Dress Factories: there are a few left. Cut-off stacks are great, sometimes they have yardage sales, too.

Use your LIBRARY for patterns and ideas. Skip the magazines; you can buy a lot for the price of a subscription or issue. Most are designed to whet your appetite for the latest and greatest fabric, pattern, gimmick. (They're great eye-candy, I admit!)

Generations of American Women have had to make-do with whatever they could and made fabulous quilts. SCRAP QUILTS RULE!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 AM

Hi, Anna fro Washington State, I too am on a fixed income. I donate quite a few quilt tops to group who finihses them. These gal supply all the material I coudl ever use. I also pick up materails from yard sales thrift shops and estate sales. Keeps me busy and all I need to buy is batting for personal quilts I make.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 AM

i wait for sales
Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 AM

list on your local freecycle that you are looking for sewing supplies
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 AM

About 2 yrs ago my finances went thru a drastic change. So I went thru all our monthly expenses to see what we could cut down on. I canceled all but local calling on my home phone. I looked at various Ins. co. for the lowest cost of car and house insurance, save big bucks there. My DD put us on her cell phone plan so that was less expensive. My DH had a life ins. policy we paid on monthly, checked with the Co. and now the divedends pays the monthly premium so we not longer have to. Go to the city only once a week for Appt. or grocery or any other errands that need doing to save on gas. And the list goes on. So look around you will find many things you can change. It sure helped me out
Old 04-12-2011, 08:39 AM

I recently got a king size batt at 50% off. It is big enough to be cut for 3 or more toddler/baby quilts, depending on their size. Our guild has a book library - they can be checked out for a month or two at a time. It also has a donation table, I get fabrics and magazines from that. I read the magazines and then take them back for the next person. They do have a money donation box for the items on the table - I try to put in a dollar or 2 when I get fabrics.
Cut back where you can and are willing to sacrifice - I'll discontinue cable before I'll give up quilting.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 AM

I just went to a lecture by Bonnie Hunter. Her website is Quiltville.com. As I sat there she explained how to go to the thrift shops and buy old clothing and mens shirts and even bed skits from LLbean to use in the scrap quilts. She saves everything and uses everything from her fabric finds. On her site she has many ides and how to cut her finds. Also free patterns to download. She is an uplifting and amazing woman with a passion for quilting and using what is around as long as it is 100% cotton. I am lucky to have an extensive stash. I also have a comfortable life and do not worry about the cost of my fabric since I use it in my business. But I do worry for many like you that are on fixed incomes and maynot find the money for their passion. One thing you can do is ask your friends in the guild to save their scraps for you and use them to make your quilts. I have 2 friends that do this. Hang in there and get back to the roots of quilting use what you have!