Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you afford to quilt if..... >

How do you afford to quilt if.....

How do you afford to quilt if.....

Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Purplemem....Congratulations on your weight loss!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 AM

i USE flannel sheets for backing for all my table runners and some of my quilts......even contour sheets give you a lot of yardage.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Me too, Karen Patrick...It would be neat if many of us sent just one piece of fabric!!!! I'll wait for an address....You had a thoughtful, caring idea! That's what life is all about....and that is certainly what this message board is all about!!!! :-)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM

hi Jackie, I am aslo on a fixed income but I have 4 adult children and 4 adult gc so i will send them all a wish list all are different I charge them babysitting fees by the yardage this way I can get some of the new fabrics that I just must have I also do Just because u luv me list this one goes to my dh or if it is too many thing on the list I share it with the others I love gadgets so I have aquired many of them this way .
I don't drive so I do my shopping on the internet I have found a place where the fabric is 3.85 a yard I tred it and was thrill to bits that the quailty of the fabric was just great and the service is great AAAQuilters supplies I get my charms from connecting threads I use my stash to mixed the old with the new I shop the sales everyweek I love the ones that will hold the items in your basket because thenm I can go back and look to see if I really want it or not 9 times out of 10 I don't want it or changed my mind .
I live in Az so i don't use that much batting I use the sheets from Marshels dry goods and old bath towels i use them for bath mats and potholders .
I hope some of theses items will help u
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM

hi Jackie, I am aslo on a fixed income but I have 4 adult children and 4 adult gc so i will send them all a wish list all are different I charge them babysitting fees by the yardage this way I can get some of the new fabrics that I just must have I also do Just because u luv me list this one goes to my dh or if it is too many thing on the list I share it with the others I love gadgets so I have aquired many of them this way .
I don't drive so I do my shopping on the internet I have found a place where the fabric is 3.85 a yard I tred it and was thrill to bits that the quailty of the fabric was just great and the service is great AAAQuilters supplies I get my charms from connecting threads I use my stash to mixed the old with the new I shop the sales everyweek I love the ones that will hold the items in your basket because thenm I can go back and look to see if I really want it or not 9 times out of 10 I don't want it or changed my mind .
I live in Az so i don't use that much batting I use the sheets from Marshels dry goods and old bath towels i use them for bath mats and potholders .
I hope some of theses items will help u
Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 AM

Contact motels or hotels in your area for their sheets. I did and received two big bags of sheets.some just had little tears along the edge, they throw them out and we can use them for batting and also for foundation pieces for our scrappy quilts.
Heard an ad on the radio that someone had sewing supplied and called and asked about fabric. She had lots so I went to look. Got 15 pieces for $14.00. one piecewas 7 yards long and other pieces smaller than that. So got a bargain.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Try looking at goodwill, second hand store, etc for used blankets you can wash and use for batting. I remember my mom turning old blankets and worn quilts into new one.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:41 AM

My guild has a cast-off table, where people donate what they no longer want. I have gotten yardage, batting pieces, fabric scraps, orphan blocks and projects for nothing!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

We are not on a fixed income but over the last 3 yrs the income has gone down. I gave up haircuts, perms, DH colors my hair, trade more now, really reduced on eating out, no longer go out to movies/plays and started buying some Walmart fabric on sale. I am trying to buy more fabric still because with the prices going up and our income not I like to have a good stash. I am also looking at alternatives for batting like old blankets. I also save all batting scraps and sew them together to make batting and do the same with fabric scraps. I also take any and all fabric people hand me down and make sure to let them know how much it is appreciated and show the project I used it in.

I hope you can find alternative ways to keep quilting. I am sorry to hear you had to sell off some of your fabric. I will definitely look through all the posts responding as I am always looking for tips on how to keep my hobby going.

I like to make a donation quilts for the millitary and have been trying to buy yardage for a reasonable $ from people on the board or trade for fabrics suitable for that. The cost involved with doing projects like that add up. I sure hope I do not have to give it up. My family is very supportive and many of my children, daughter in law and DH help me make the donation quilts for the millitary.

I also do consignment quilts and either I end up with left overs from that or a little money to spend on my children or quilting supplies.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Where there's a will...there's a way!