Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one >

Am I the only one

Am I the only one

Old 04-12-2011, 02:04 PM

I like the older quilts and fabric selections as well. The quilt magazines for the last three years or so have focused on designers that offer busier fabrics/simpler designs. They are pretty but I find that I can't use them except in quilts that favor large prints such as the OBW or large polka dot quilts (the ones where you applique large circles onto an equally busy background). Of course, you have to understand that I remember when a rotary cutter was a new tool...lol.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
I approach a quilt the same way I decorate my house. I want someone to come in and feel comfortable. Don't ask me if you should take your shoes off (you're not going to hurt the hardwood floor)Don't wonder if it's okay to sit down on the furniture in the living room, that's what it's there for. :)

If I give you a quilt, I want you to curl up on the sofa watching a movie and spill popcorn on it, accidentally drip ice cream on it. Use it to make a fort with the sofa cushions. Curl up with it when you're sick. Use it on your bed and let your dogs sleep with you.

Whether the quilt is LQS fabric, Joann's, Hancock, old shirts from your father, or old jeans. :)

I would be delighted to see a quilt I gave someone 50 years later and it's completely worn out. (I know some of you are gasping right now :P )

Many of the quilts I have packed away have seen better days. Ripped, worn, and can no longer be used. But each one of them floods me with wonderful childhood memories, and that is the thing that makes them priceless to me.

Now I plan on taking them cutting them up and working them into a new quilt with new fabrics as well. Allowing me to remember the past, but also make future memories with them. :)

I know I've gotten a little off topic, but my point being I want a quilt people will use and is comfy. So many of the new quilts that are more like works of art just isn't something I would make. And while I completely RESPECT all the work and creativity that goes into making one, some of them are just too beautiful to curl up with and use.

It's a lot like music, I love ALL types except opera and rap. Not that I don't respect both, but it's not my cup of tea....or I should say diet pepsi :P
Well said
Old 04-12-2011, 02:16 PM

You're not alone, you may be an old soul however, I tend to think you're the type of person with a warm loving heart and you gain comfort from things that touch and warm the heart...maybe you're just a romantic at heart but I tend to think you're more like the first description. :D :D :D :D
Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 PM

I too love old quilts. I want to use the old-style prints, too. I do think batiks are lovely, but they are not my first choice.

I sometimes have a hard time finding fabric, because IMO most of it is too modern-looking. Give me a quilt store with lots of scrappy and old style quilts, and I am in heaven. Give me one with modern style quilts displayed, and I probably won't go back.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:24 PM

I love the vintage quilts, older patterns, and love anything vintage sewing supplies and quilting.I don't do anything modern as you call it. But they are pretty to look at.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 PM

I love the traditional patterns, the new ones for the most part just don't do it for me.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:38 PM

I like the traditional quilts. Churn Dash, Ohio Star, Log Cabin, Monkey Wrench..... Artsy fartsy is not for me. :)
Old 04-12-2011, 03:39 PM

I guess I'm an old soul also - while I admire the beautiful artsy quilts many quilters to me they are just that - art - not the cozy things quilts mean to me - I love the 30's and civil war fabrics and never tire of the old patterns - one of my most valued possessions is a quilt made by my husband's aunt's MIL back in the 30's - it made it's way through several family members eventualy ending up with me - I value it beyod words - it's an unusual pattern and, God willing, I will eventually make one like it.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:51 PM

Me too. I like the old patterns and scrappies.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:21 PM

Oh you not alone on this one!! I am definitely one for traditional quilts. I just love the old patterns and quilts. I love scrappy! My favorites are the 30's scrappy, civil war and Americana fabrics and patterns :)