Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one >

Am I the only one

Am I the only one

Old 04-12-2011, 05:22 PM

I'm with you on this one. I learned to quilt to duplicate the wonderful experience of sleeping under quilts at my Gramma's house as a child. I especially do not enjoy the heavy weight of some of the fabrics used as backing now, just not the same to me. I buckled under some quilt shop peer pressure and bought some very heavy watercolor fabric to back a buck a block quilt. Hate it-I have so much money invested and can't bring myself to finish the FMQ. I do like the large bold fabrics for curtains and purses though.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ruck9085
That loves the old quilts? I just can't get into these new patterns. I like basic, old fashioned, scrap quilts like my granny made. I love the four patch and the Grandmother's Flower garden and the like. I can't get into the landscape quilts or the portrait quilts or even the Bargello's though I have to admit, I've seen some really gorgeous ones.
Also, I love bright colors, mostly reds, yellows and blues, and small print, like Calicoes, not huge florals.
So, am I just an old soul,or are there others like me?
I am the same way. I love the traditional patterns and usually make them with "modern" colors. Thanks for starting this thread; I was beginning to think I was the only traditional quilter left. LOL :thumbup:
Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ginaky
I'm like you, I lean toward the more traditional quilts. The others are pretty, I'll give you that, but just not for me.
ditto!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM

I like the good quilt pattern I also like to sit and cut out my blocks I trace my pattern on the material and then cut the design I also tie my quilt's I don't think painting is make a quilt as a quilt goes just my though's
Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 PM

I like old patterns in contemporary colors/fabrics sharet
Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 PM

I'm an 'Oldies but goodies' girl. :thumbup:
Old 04-12-2011, 08:24 PM

You are not alone. Because my interest in art has always truned towards geometric shapes, I find I love the old patterns. I have a color one from the log cabin that I've sold, and have been asked to duplicate. [it'll never be the same] so cheer up there are a lot of us in the world who are comfortable with traditional shapes. My very first quilt was made from the left over material my mother saved from her sewing clothes for my seven sisters and brother and I. I was fifteen and thought all those scrape were just dryrotting in her material chest.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Scrappy pieced quilts are my absolute favourite !!! From Auntie B, in, it's almost spring in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:05 AM

nope..not alone. I prefer the old patterns. Even go so far as making some of them the "old fashioned" way...you know, complete with templates, pencil and scissors!! I love the old patterns like Monkey Wrench, Shoo Fly, and Churn Dash.

I like to look at the newer patterns and artsy quilts, and on very rare occasions have made one. But always the pull is there back to the old patterns.

But truth be told, I keep my preference hush-hush. I have gotten some very disapproving looks from other quilters when I stated my preferences. ;)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 AM

I love the look of old quilts too. I have just finished making a 1930's feedsack quilt for our local quilt show that is in June. This is the second 1930 reproduction quilt I have made and I also love scrappy quilts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-183607.jpe
Views:	62
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	183613