Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only 1 who hates binding? >

Am I the only 1 who hates binding?

Am I the only 1 who hates binding?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Ditto, I agree! I always feel that binding is the last design decision I make on my quilts so I love to do the binding.
Originally Posted by cherylynne
Sorry I can't help you. Binding is my favorite part, I think, because I know the quilt is almost finished.
:wink:
Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 AM

I used to hate to bind because I did not do a good job. After watching several tutes and mastering the technique I now love it, ESP the hand stitching!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 AM

I put all my binding on by machine. It is so much easier. Also if it is for charity the quilt will go thru a ton of washing and the binding will stay on.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 AM

I love to bind. I watched the video on Missouri Star Quilt Company and I love the way she does it. I wish I could get to the point that something has to be bound.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by suebee
Originally Posted by Country1
Am I the only one who doesn't like to bind? Maybe, it's b/c I'm doing it all wrong or something. I presently have 4 quilts that only need to be bind, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it.
Any get in the mood to bind advice out there?
I've heard several people say they hate doing binding. I actually love it. Maybe I will go into business for myself, just doing binding for others...LOL. I actually wouldnt mind it.
Me too! I always use bias binding, so that may be why I don't have any problems with it. Always lays flat, and is more durable.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM

I am not very good with hand sewing. So I sewed my machine sewed my binding on the back and then flipped to the front. Yes you do get this second stitch on the back, but the front looks great. I would recommend doing 4 1/2 strips, folded in half with 3/8 seam on the back and then flip and top stitch the front. That way the second seam is closer to the binding on the back. I haven't experimented enough to get the front and back to align so you can't tell. Only time and practice will do that. I did buy the binding attachment to attached to by Janome 7700, it work well, but I haven't practice enough with that either. Need to make more lap size tops to practice on. Time to go shopping and get more patterns. Yeah, an excuse to go fabric shopping.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by cminor
Here is my trick. I am totally a cheater!! I machine stitch on both sides and use fabric for the back that will blend with the thread. I have learned the hard way that I can not stitch straight! I also bought the binding tool - many say that it is the same as doing the math - but for some reason it helps me a ton!

Good luck - they say it comes with practice! :)
I also machine both sides, goes so fast. I learned to miter my corners so I don't need to sew together bunches of strips!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbere15
I am not very good with hand sewing. So I sewed my machine sewed my binding on the back and then flipped to the front. Yes you do get this second stitch on the back, but the front looks great. I would recommend doing 4 1/2 strips, folded in half with 3/8 seam on the back and then flip and top stitch the front. That way the second seam is closer to the binding on the back. I haven't experimented enough to get the front and back to align so you can't tell. Only time and practice will do that. I did buy the binding attachment to attached to by Janome 7700, it work well, but I haven't practice enough with that either. Need to make more lap size tops to practice on. Time to go shopping and get more patterns. Yeah, an excuse to go fabric shopping.
There are so many free patterns out there...but still go look at fabric, yum!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 AM

I hate to bind, have tried taking my GF in to doing it for me for a price (really cheap) but she keeps telling me no.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM

I love to do the binding, I have a friend with a long arm shop and I quite often do her bindings for her. She taught me how to do it like the video,except I don't glue,but will be trying that. Thanks for sharing the video I enjoyed watching it.