Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutters- ARE they all created Equal?? >

Rotary Cutters- ARE they all created Equal??

Rotary Cutters- ARE they all created Equal??

Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 AM

I have a couple of Olfa's and a Fons and Porter. I really like the F & P better. The blade retracts automatically, which is sooo handy. It's not ergonomic, but it works well.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I need a new rotary cutter. I've been using one I purchased at Walmart and it just doesn't cut very good. I'm constantly having to go back and cut threads. Which one do you like best and why?
I waited till I got a sale price on the Gingher rotary cutter - well balanced and not too heavy - it cuts great !!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:02 PM

Love my Olfas. Try changing the blade.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 PM

I agree - Olfa is the best
Old 04-13-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by BKrenning
I have Olfa's--all sizes that close automatically when you release the handle except for the tiny one--it is manual; a few dollar bin cheapos that I use for fleece & paper and a Martelli 45mm. I love, love, love the Martelli for long cutting sessions but you have to remember to close the blade shield every time you set it down. Also, it only likes the blades without notches or it will wobble. There is a right & left hand version so make sure you get the correct one for you.

So, no, they are not made equal. You have to find one that is comfortable for you at a price you're willing to pay. For a good all around--easy & cheap to find blades for--I would recommend Olfa. For problems with carpal tunnel or hand strength--I recommend Martelli. For pretty--I recommend Donna Dewberry!
Seriously, a right and left handed version? I bet the left handed one is more expensive. What is the difference? That just seems like another price gouge for those that do not know how to adapt. I'm left handed, btw, and I do just fine with all of my rotary cutters.
Yes, a right & left handed version. You hold it differently than any other rotary cutter. It has a handle that sticks out of the side. It's kind of like driving a bicycle. It's hard to explain but it really is easier to use and doesn't zap my wrist like my Olfa ones do if I cut for a long time. Oh, and the lefty version is the same price as the righty but mine is racing red. You get black.

http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...tegory_Code=RC
I have this same left handed cutter. One great advantage for me is that since I have RA, standing for a long period of time is painful and I am able to do almost all of my cutting sitting down with the same accuracy as standing.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 PM

I have the new Tru Cut electric rotary blade sharpener.
It works fine. Except it doesn't take out the nicks.
It does extend the life of the blade as long as the blade just needs a touch of sharpening.

To the post that said after sharpening the blade there were still threads that had to be clipped. That means there is a nick in the blade and no sharpening will take it out.....
Toss the blade.[/quote]

It does not always mean a nick in the blade, maybe it is a bad mat. Sometimes when your mat gets used so much it does not heal it will leave a negligible groove and when you cut across it it will leave uncut threads.
I have used a Martelli cutter for the last 8 years and wouldn't trade it for anything else. When I put a new blade in I can cut 20 layers easily. I have to step down to about 12-14 layers when the blade gets used a lot.
These cutters are true ergonomic cutters and for anyone with arthritis, carpel tunnel, or hand fatigue they can't be beat. They even take the strain off a bad shoulder because you don't have to put your elbow out to the side and cut at 45 degrees.
You cut with the normal swing of your arm at 90 degrees straight out from your body. Since you have better control of the cutter straight out, there is less chance of veering off the side when cutting. The 45 degree cutters cost about $25.00 which is less than the new quick change Olfa cutters which run $30.00. I a real fan. I have both the 45mm and the 60mm cutters.
OzarksGma
Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
e4

I personally love my Martelli rotary cutter! The blades last a very long time - I cut a lot of fabric and have only had to change the blade once in almost 2 years.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 PM

I have tried all the cutters - Fiskars, Olfa, etc. - and believe it or not I prefer the Dritz. It seems to fit in my hand the best.

I also tried one of those yellow orbital sharpeners and found it quite lacking. I did hear that there are folks you can mail your used blades to that will sharpen them and mail them back. Anyone got an address or website?[/quote]

I sharpen the rotary cutters, both 45 and 60mm. I own a shop and sharpen the rotary blades and scissors. You can mail them in and I will sharpen and mail them back to you.
OzarksGma
Old 04-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Love my Gingher !
Old 04-13-2011, 02:02 PM

I see in the paper that JoAnns has all rotary cutters and supplies at 50% off[/quote]

The only problem with JoAnns, they don't carry the Martelli. Top quality and they are worth every penny even paying full price. If you've ever used one, there is no going back to the old cutters no matter what brand you used.
OzarksGma