Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Soap Scum on bathroom showers >

Soap Scum on bathroom showers

Soap Scum on bathroom showers

Old 04-13-2011, 11:56 AM

When it's clean, wipe it down with some lemon oil on a lint-free rag. It will keep it looking beautiful and it smells great too!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
Buy a squeegee and tell your niece to squeegee the shower and the shower door (if you have one) after every shower. That prevents the build up of soap scum.

You can also just use a towel to wipe it down after each shower. With this method you also have to have a place to hang the towel so it dries during the day.

I do this every day. In addition to preventing unwanted buildup, it stretches just about my entire body. Two for the price of one!
I do the same. Don't remember when the last time i can my shower stall. Always is shining.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Mr Clean Magic Eraser
Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work wonders for those that don't tolerate smelly sprays. Makes shower doors look like new. Lime Away works if you don't mind the smells.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:37 PM

When we lived in California we had awful lime deposits on the shower doors and walls. I used Kaboom to get it off. You may need to use a S.O.S. pad to scrub some on the stubborn spots, but the Kaboom really loosen it for you.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 PM

I clean my shower walls as good as i can and then I wax them. i learned this years ago when the fiberglass surrounds came out. it works wonders and the water beads right up and makes wiping down a breeze. Try it!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Linda Renfro
I've been watching this site for several months now and I've learned alot from you folks...well I have a question that I hope someone can help me with and I can learn some more tricks. We have a build up of soap scum on our guest bathroom that I just discovered today...(my neice lives with us and uses that bathroom) how in the world do I remove it? Does anyone have any sure fire ways that really work to remove that stuff? All info is greatly appreciated.
once it's clean, buy her a squeegee and have her use it each and every time she uses the shower......no more cleaning down the shower walls......this works wonders.........
Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 PM

White vinegar will get it off, but don't use it very often, because vinegar also dissolves calcium, which is a component of the grouting. Once or twice a year won't hurt, but every week, no.. unless you just love to regrout. You can also unscrew your showerhead and soak it in a solution of 50% vinegar and 50% water, and then use an old toothbrush to clean all the white (calcium) deposits off.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:44 PM

Here are the instructions for Dear Niece:

Tilex has a "soap scum" cleaner. Spray it on - leave - go back in 10 minutes with a sponge mop - give it a quick mop - then rinse. Shiny and gorgeous. No sore knees either.

Repeat again before Auntie has to tell you "it's filthy"...

P.S. NEVER-NEVER use an SOS pad on a shower... or you'll be replacing the entire unit - also, no cleanser (ajax/comet) if the unit is less than 10 years old.

How do I know? I just bought a 10 yr old home that the owner used cleansers on. All needs replaced. 3 showers, 6 sinks and 1 whirlpool bath tub. Grrrr....
Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 PM

It was great to read everyone's great tips on cleaning shower stalls and tubs. Thanks to all who shared.