Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing fabric >

Washing fabric

Washing fabric

Old 04-14-2011, 04:05 AM

When I started quilting, I washed everything- then changed & only washed the non-quilt store fabric. The I read an article about the chemicals used in processing batiks and many dyes - I have returned to washing all the fabrics now. The article said while most quality fabrics no longer "bleed" and it is not necessary to wash due to setting the dyes, but urged everyone to wash their fabric due to the chemicals, especially batiks. So I now hand wash the charm packs, etc.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 AM

I wash ALL my material as soon as I get home from the QS. Have you ever heard of Retayne?? It will stop the bleeding on any colors. I wash all my fabric together (reds too) and use 1 teaspoon of Retyane per yard of fabric. Even washed reds & whites together. On my charms, I soak them in a dishpan of real hot water till the water cools and then hang each piece over my towel bar over my tub and don't even wring them out.
You can buy Retayne at your local QS or ask about them getting it, it is a wonder and wouldn't quilt without it as I think washing before will solve a lot of problems down the road.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 AM

I wash dark colors and hand dyed fabrics and some other colorful print fabrics. I wash extra wide backing fabrics for my quilts, just to get the sizing out to make them softer. I definitely wash garage sale fabrics before I put it on my shelf with my stash.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:15 AM

I'm lucky, have always washed and present machine has a hand wash cycle, which hardly frays the fabric at all.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 AM

I also wash all my fabrics when they come home with me.
I also wash my finished quilt. The batting will shrink causing the dimple effect in the quilt.
I do a lot of hand applique, so the last one I was using the card of bias binding for the flower stems, I first thought I wouldn't wash it but decided I better do it. The binding did draw up. So if I hadn't washed it, my quilt would of been ruined after washing it.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 AM

if you're always going to dry clean the quilt you don't need to pre-wash. if you're worried about colors running, set them by salting the wash water. and whenever possible, hire someone to iron the cloth. LOL 8)
Old 04-14-2011, 05:56 AM

I'm with you. I never pre-wash. Probably a mistake, but so far I've had no problems!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by chatonne40
I had 3 fat quarters packs that I sew all around so it does not fray in the washing machine or dryer but then I thought it would take forever for just one charm pack and if it shrink what,s left of my pieces??
I just toss them in a delicates mesh bag and fill up the mesh bag with socks, if it is not full enough. Works like a charm. I have never stitched around an edge. I don't have the time or patience for that. I've got to find a way to "make it work."
Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by nancia
if you're always going to dry clean the quilt you don't need to pre-wash. if you're worried about colors running, set them by salting the wash water. and whenever possible, hire someone to iron the cloth. LOL 8)
Fabric dyer here: salting does not "set" the fabric. Salt is used in dyeing to raise the polarity of the fabric to attract the dye molecules. Once the soda ash has activated the dyeing process and the dye is spent, you hope that the excess dye is washed out by the manufacturer. You cannot "re-set" the dye with salt. Washing in cold water with Synthrapol is your best bet.

From Paula Burch's website:
"Synthrapol is a special detergent used in pre-scouring fibers before dyeing, and in washing out fiber reactive dyes after dyeing. It is also sometimes used as a surfactant or wetting agent to improve dye penetration.

A detergent contains long, thin molecules which each have one end that "likes" oily substances, and another end that "likes" water. Detergent molecules will completely surround a tiny particle of something too oily to be washed away by water alone, leaving just their water-loving 'tails' sticking out, to be easily swept away by the water. Water is the strongest of all solvents, but it requires detergents to wash away oily substances.

Good luck and if you have any other dye related questions, do a search on her name.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 AM

I only wash when required to for board swaps. I have started using sizing and pressing in hopes of improving cutting accuracy, so I guess if fabric is going to shrink, it does at that point. With the color catchers on the market and Retayne (which I just purchased), my concerns with bleeding are reduced.