Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips Topic >

Tips Topic

Tips Topic

Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 AM

To keep a thimble on your finger, put your finger in your mouth

before you put your thimble on, it will stick like glue!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 AM

There was a thread of unconventional tools used in quilting. I took those responces and saved them to a word doc. It is 12 pages long. I will add these responces to my list when I have time. Don't think I can post the 12 pages to this list and don't have a web site but if someone wants it let me know and I will be glad to email it to you.
I also am a new at sewing and love the uncoventional tools and the tricks for sewing. judy
Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 AM

I use old eyeglass cases (open at one end) to store my rotary cutters in. You can usually buy them at the dollar store or thrift shops.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:16 AM

I use the very large pill bottles to put my sewing thread in along with the bobbin containing that same thread. Also, use the very large pill bottles to put my hand quilting thread in. I poke a hole in the top of the snap-on lid and put the thread through the hole. Useful when you drop your thread as this way it doesn't unwind. Also, I made a lap pillow and the top part of it also has elastic sewn down at intervals for holding thread. I sewed the elastic in such a way that it will hold my YLI Silk, or my small spools of 60/2 for applique. You can poke a hole in the snap lid of the small pill bottles, feed your thread through, and put the pill bottle under the elastic. Now you don't have to take the spool out from the bottle or elastic during your project. I, too, use the pill bottles for bent or broken pins and needles.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Opps...
Old 04-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jeandrig
Thanks for all the tips. I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.1- Has anyone found a solution for keeping bobbins neat and to not unwind on bobbin and able to tell the colors of thread on bobbin? I bought some of the clear plastic tubing, but don't know how to cut it.
2- I have a lot of embroidery thread, I mean a lot of it, my question is: Does it ever get too weak or rotten to safely use on projects?
Thanks for any help I can get on this.
I use the clear plastic tubing from Home depot and just cut it with scissors (not the ones I use for fabric) - usually have to trim a little to fit the bobbins and then a slit so it wraps around the thread. I even label w/ a Sharpie is it is cotton, clear, etc.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingranny
I use old eyeglass cases (open at one end) to store my rotary cutters in. You can usually buy them at the dollar store or thrift shops.
I also use old pot holders- I just sew them in half lengthwise.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 AM

I purchased a folder for storing business cards and use it to hold my packages of needles.

I also wrap my binding around an empty toiletpaper roll - place a string or ribbon through the center, hang it around my neck, and it is easy to attach the binding to the quilt without rolling all over the floor.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
Use those foam thingys to keep toes apart for pedicures to hold bobbins from unrolling and it also keeps them secure
I do that!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:49 PM

I wrap binding around empty toilet paper rolls. When I want to use it, I put a ribbon thru it and put it over my neck. I think I saw this tip someplace.

Also, I saved my large, 36 x 54, cutting mat that had worn out. When I need a bottom for a purse or tote, I have DH cut out the size I need from the old mat. Works great!