Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing fabric >

Washing fabric

Washing fabric

Old 04-14-2011, 11:49 AM

i stand corrected, thank you.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM

i put a white washcloth in my pre wash to see if it is color safe.

i presrunk yards of brown cordaroy for the back king size beadspread/quilt as requested for my son. it was fine. after he washed it in the new front load washer,,the nap all the way across the center back of the cordaroy came out for about 1 1/2 yard! the head was good and the foot was good. i am just sick about it. he will not give it back to me to replace, he loves it. it is heavy and does not move off the bed.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM

To see if the color on febric runs put a piece under very
hot water
Old 04-14-2011, 01:17 PM

I can understand how you feel. DH and I have 5 grands and two gr grands with another on the way... We have empty house syndrome!!!!

Originally Posted by lbaillie
I dont wash anything either, I wait until I'm all done and then wash.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I don't prewash anything unless it was bought at a thrift shop or yard sale. It's a process that I don't like. But that's just me.
Ditto.

I do however use Shout Color Catchers when I was a quilt for the first time.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I was a washer before I started using charms, then I became a non washer. Several days ago I watched a 2 1/2 by 8 1/4 inch shrink before my eyes when I pressed it with steam. It was a good fabric, so I think I will go back to washing, though I dislike pressing large pieces of fabric. The thought of pressing six yards for a backing does not appeal to me.
I just ironed a 3yd by 108"wide backing this morning. I'll spare you my comments.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by chatonne40
I am reading all of your answers....
Now I am just wondering if it is worthed to buy charms or jelly rolls. If it does shrink or bleed but you find out after your quilt is finished what a disappointment!!

In another hand, many of you don't wash those smaller cuts..my question is if most of the fabric shrink, what's happening with your quilt that you work on for so many hours :-( Unless after it is quilted it does not shrink as it is hold by the quilting step?
SOOO confused.... what should I do what should I do?
To be honest I love the look that quilts get when they shrink in the wash. theres just something about it that appeals to me.

I believe the look you like is the soft, cuddly antique, look used quilts have...You romantic you!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy S.
I don't prewash anything unless it was bought at a thrift shop or yard sale. It's a process that I don't like. But that's just me.
Yup, same here.
Same here. I did prewash a 5 yardpiece of red last week because I was afraid it would bleed--it did--but that's the first prewashing I've done in 30 years. It's just not worth the trouble. froggyintexas
Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 PM

I generally do not wash my fabric before using it. I did a coin quilt with Bali Pops on a white background (I guess I felt daring that day). The only issue I had was when I used steam to press one of the orange strips. It did weep a little bit. I of course freaked out thinking about the rest of the quilt but I soldiered on. When I completed and washed it (I always wash the way I think the receipient will wash it. In other words, not carefully) there was no weeping or bleeding even from reds and the little bit that weeped from the orange came out. Phew! Disaster averted!

I will say this, though. I have been hesitant to use batiks like that on an all white background without prewashing. Just because I got lucky one time does not mean I will again. I would not pre-wash any precuts, though. Too much aggravation with those small pieces.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by chatonne40
I am reading all of your answers....
Now I am just wondering if it is worthed to buy charms or jelly rolls. If it does shrink or bleed but you find out after your quilt is finished what a disappointment!!

In another hand, many of you don't wash those smaller cuts..my question is if most of the fabric shrink, what's happening with your quilt that you work on for so many hours :-( Unless after it is quilted it does not shrink as it is hold by the quilting step??

SOOO confused.... what should I do what should I do?
To be honest I love the look that quilts get when they shrink in the wash. theres just something about it that appeals to me.
Me too! I call it 'blooming' the quilt. I just love the added texture that get.