Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody know anything about growing cotton? >

Anybody know anything about growing cotton?

Anybody know anything about growing cotton?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by PWinston
Sorry, it doesn't indicate how many yard of fabric one bale of cotton would make but guess we could estimate that based on the number of pillowcases one bale of cotton will make...One bale of cotton (480 lbs.) will make any of the following. 249 Bed Sheets...Missouri (SE) a good yield for an irrigated acre of land is 2 - 2.5 bales/acre.
Thanks you so much for those facts...very interesting stuff. I would never have dreamed what the yield would be.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rejoyce
Every year I try to plant something that I've never grown before. I discovered cotton seeds in one of my catalogues, so that's my challange crop this year. I've already started the seeds in the greenhouse.
I hope you will share a few photos or your experience of how it goes for you. I'm sure many of us, northerners especially, are curious.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by countrycottage
...when I was little to go help him pick cotton in the field behind their house. Wasn't nearly as much fun as I thought it would be, and when he went back to the fields after lunch guess who stayed at the house with Grandmama.
You are so sweet. I can remember how my grandparents let me learn things this way as well. They never overprotected us from real work & reality of what it was to get things done. It did eliminate a lot of begging I imagine. I remember if you wanted something my grandpa would give you work to do to earn it. I was allowed to split wood @ the age of 10 with a sledgehammer & a wedge (guess they didn't want me cutting my leg off, ROTFL), 25 cents a log. The logs were about 24" diameter, & had to be split many times to be firewood size, then stacked correctly. I could work for four hours & maybe earn 50 cents; good for an ice cream cone maybe. I am proud to say I didn't break any bones doing this in all those years either, and it kept me busy too.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Heard on CNN this morning that there is going to be a huge cotton crop this year. Wonder if it is true will the price come down on fabric.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

If it does come down... it won't be for a while yet. Right now the mills are all printing on cotton that they have contracted to purchase at current higher prices.

Since prices for new, up-and-coming lines, are set six months into the future, and prices are still rising, you can figure that it would take at least that long for prices to drop again.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Ladies, all of you are to be thanked for your insights and knowledge of growing cotton. These are examples of the best types of "lessons" on any topic anyone could have, and brings back memories of my parents growing cotton in our flower bed as a novelty plant (along with tobacco for two Uncles who hand-rolled cigars) in north-eastern Missouri. Those of you who have children and grandchildren: May I suggest that you print out this section for those children to read.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:56 PM

What a fascinating thread! Who would have thought that there are still people alive who used to have to pick cotton by hand. I obviously did not grow up on a farm, but in So. Cal. where almost everyone earned a living by either working in an industry or by doing some kind of service (not to say that farming is not a service).
Old 04-14-2011, 02:56 PM

My DH pulled off the road and picked a couple bolls out of the ditch, and it is now tucked behind my thimble shelf. :)[/quote]
--------------------------------
Ever try to remove the seeds and plant them? I find myself doing that with lots of strange things. Some of them make nice pot plants, some of them rapidly outgrow any pot I put them in, then it's off to Free-Cycle with them. I can see a big pot with some neat green plants in them, later with lovely flowers and then bit bolls of cotton on them.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:05 PM

I never would have thought to ask what I am allowed to grow since it's legal;)[/quote]

Not to worry, if you can buy the seeds or plants in your state, it's legal. (well, bought thru regular channels, not discussing marijuana or such, LOL) Ag dept's keep close tabs on what's sold in which state. In Idaho, for example, one cannot import currants (are host to a bug that can infest pine trees))or garlic (who knows why?), although we can get local starts or seeds. If you have any concerns, talk to your county agent, they will know.