Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips Topic >

Tips Topic

Tips Topic

Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaCee
Is it possible to start a "tips" thread? I'm sure there are thousand of useful quilting tips out there. Think of all we could learn. I'll start with one.
Use an inexpensive letter/file holder from Staples or even the dollar store to hold your rulers.
Other folks tips are always welcome, we can't possibly think of all these things for ourselves. :thumbup:
Old 04-14-2011, 06:27 PM

My favorite tip is one I learned here- after I sew the binding on the front, I press it over, miter the corners and then GLUE it into place (ironing it again). Then I can handsew (or machine sew if it's a quickie, or I'm using a decorative stitch) without pins getting in the way. I LOVE doing bindings now!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jeandrig
Thanks for all the tips. I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.1- Has anyone found a solution for keeping bobbins neat and to not unwind on bobbin and able to tell the colors of thread on bobbin? I bought some of the clear plastic tubing, but don't know how to cut it.
2- I have a lot of embroidery thread, I mean a lot of it, my question is: Does it ever get too weak or rotten to safely use on projects?
Thanks for any help I can get on this.
On old embroidery thread if you are having thread breaks, I unwind some and try again if it continues to break I trash it. ( I have heard some say refrigerate for a day and try again) I have never tried that. I buy the small hair circles at wally's (1 dozen or 2 different colors for under $3.) they control the bobbins.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Great idea! I save all my lids, like coffee, ect, to make plastic templates.
That's what I do too!!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jeandrig
Thanks for all the tips. I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.1- Has anyone found a solution for keeping bobbins neat and to not unwind on bobbin and able to tell the colors of thread on bobbin? I bought some of the clear plastic tubing, but don't know how to cut it.
2- I have a lot of embroidery thread, I mean a lot of it, my question is: Does it ever get too weak or rotten to safely use on projects?
Thanks for any help I can get on this.
It sounds odd, but thread can dry out and dehydrate and get brittle, and break easily, so leave it out in the open on some rainy days, let it rehydrate, and you will be surprised that it regains its toughness.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 PM

I use a schaslick stick for opening and closing safety pins when pinning a quilt, and a strip of masking tape wrapped around my fingers for picking up those obstinate threads left from reverse stitching.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 PM

I use small pony tail bands (look like terrycloth) on my bobbins. I buy a big bag in the dollar bins at Kmart, Walmart, Alco, dollar stores. They hold the threads in and protect the plastic bobbins from other bobbins.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 PM

I use the bottles that my dibetes test strips come in to store used quilting machine needles. I also use them for storing needles when traveling by car...I peel the label off so I know it's not full of strips.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 PM

Post it in wrong place.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Susie42quilter
To keep a thimble on your finger, put your finger in your mouth

before you put your thimble on, it will stick like glue!
Aloe Vera gel works great too...