Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing fabric >

Washing fabric

Washing fabric

Old 04-14-2011, 03:59 PM

I've had some awful surprises after washing fabrics so I always run it through a quick wash. Some of my worst experiences have been with muslin backing shrinking as much as 25 to 30%.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I don't prewash anything unless it was bought at a thrift shop or yard sale. It's a process that I don't like. But that's just me.
I agree totally with cjomomma.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by donnakay
Hi All,
I just now today stumbled on this site through a Dear Jane group. As I was trolling around the pictures and comments I thought, 'I'll just bookmark this so I can look around and see if I want to join at a later date.
Then I came across the pre-wash question which lit up my buttons!
I am an avid washer after spending numerous hours on something and having it run. I also have noticed some fabrics shrink at different proportions so you may have one fabric shrinking greatly while it's neighbor that you have pieced to doesn't shrink at all. It makes me manic!
All fabric goes to the laundry room after purchase. If it gets to my sewing area that means it's pre-washed.

Pre-washing is just a term. If you are using a washing machine the agitation will really be harsh and you will get lots of raveling fabric. To avoid agitation I do this. I have a huge white bucket in my laundry room sink. I turn on the hot water and fill the bucket with the hottest water and put the fabric in. Lights with lights, reds separate, darks together ... you get the picture. After about 20 minutes I go back to see if there are any bleeders. If not I then pull the fabrics out and squeeze to get much of the hot water out. Fill up trusty bucket with very cold water and plunge in to the cold water and let sit about 20 min. Remove fabric, squeeze much of the water out, dry in a hot drier, remove and fold and bring to sewing area.

Not only are you pre-shrinking and removing all that chemical fabric sizing you are also identifying bleeders. You are leveling the playing field by shrinking so that all the fabric in finished quilts now behave the same if they get laundered.

Bleeders identified in the hot soak---> Remove the offending fabric, squeeze excess water, dry in a hot drier. Treat this dry fabric with a product called retayne. Follow product directions. I usually go a step further by adding a small teakettle of boiling water to my super hot tap water to the bucket with the retayne water.

As I said, I'm pretty manic about the pre-wash topic. Looking forward to participating in this group. Hope I haven't pushed anyone's buttons in a bad way by my strong response. And it is my first post!
YEAH....another WASHING fanatic like me....thought I was a rare breed...glad you joined us for my other great group!
I try not to buy anything less than a yard or so. I pre-wash everything except the batting. I have found that this gets out the chemicals and I get less eye irritation when sewing. For baby quilts I pre-wash as well as wash after finishing then I can guarantee that it will stand up to washing once Mom and baby use it. I like the antique/wrinkled look that comes after washing after a quilt is completed. Good job my DH has no idea how often the washer and dryer are used! :lol:
Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM

I washed my 20 fat quarters ..what a mess, I even pit them into a mess bag in the washer...strings of thread all tangled up. When I measured them some had shrunk at least an inch all around...would never wash any more...lesson learned!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by chatonne40
Hello , I was wondering if you wash your fat quarters, jelly rolls and charm packs. I understand we have to wash the fabric to let it shrink, see if it bleeds etc...
When you get small pieces and if you do not wash those, what happend if it does shrink?

I had 3 fat quarters packs that I sew all around so it does not fray in the washing machine or dryer but then I thought it would take forever for just one charm pack and if it shrink what,s left of my pieces??
Do your project and when you wash it, throw a shout color catcher in the washer with it. Or if you give the quilt away, give it with a note to do that. A little shrinkage makes the quilt more wonderful! Worrying about what might happen takes the fun of what is happening. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. froggyintexas
Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 PM

To be honest I love the look that quilts get when they shrink in the wash. theres just something about it that appeals to me.[/quote]

Me too. I think they look homey.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 PM

wow thx, i just posted a question about pre-washing now i know i shall go and pre-wash all the new fabric.
can i dry it all in the dryer too.

thx jane
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 PM

I feel silly, but I have not been able to find any of the color catchers,or Retayne . I must be looking in the wrong store or on the wrong shelves. if you ask a store clerk about anything like that, they have no idea what you are talking about. Also, cannot find liquid starch, only spray on starch.
Any suggestions as to where you find these things??
Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 AM

I am confused! When I buy my material at Jo Anne's or my favorite quilt stores I ask them if I should prewash and all have told me not to worry about that. Now everyone on the board but a few say they do. I know when I first started sewing I did, but when paying $10. a yard I don't think I should have to.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:16 AM

I am confused! When I buy my material at Jo Anne's or my favorite quilt stores I ask them if I should prewash and all have told me not to worry about that. Now everyone on the board but a few say they do. I know when I first started sewing I did, but when paying $10. a yard I don't think I should have to.