36 and over

Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Sorry didn't read much of it. Too much swearing.
I read it all, and it was funny, but really wish the swearing was not there. I think it would be just as funny with out the bad words.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM

LOL I had to laugh here. I have told my kids and grands this before and they look at me like I am nuts.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by lllog
Darlin, wait till your turning 70.

Lanny
:thumbup:
Old 04-15-2011, 01:33 PM

Funny, but oh so true....
Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 PM

The safety arm. Man i hated that. And I'm the driver now. Mom is 78 and still does it to me.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 PM

This is so very funny, oh those good old days. But how true, I remember being in my thirties and my DF saying, "ya know, I can still bend you over my knee and whip ya" in his very southern accent.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM

I admit it, I remember all of these! Especially #5, that used to just burn my bum every stinkin time! LoL! Thanks so much for posting it, I put it on my FB page too, gotta keep passing it along to all my friends. :-)
Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 PM

HA I'm 81 and thought you, a fourty year old now, had the same problems of easy times!
For instance, Ice for the wooden icebox (refrigerator) came every couple days in a wagon and was carried into the house with special large tongs! There was no electricity to it.
In fact, usually there was just one bare unshaded bulb hanging from a cloth covered wire, suspended from the ceiling in the middle of the room,
and
the bathrooms were outdoors, called "Outhouses" and the toilet paper was crispy pages from a Sears & Roebuck catalog. Going out to them through the snow in the winter was miserable.
There were a lot more coal fired steam trains then, that carried almost everythingthat was used in the town, because trucks were just jalopies for local delivery and most roads were gravel anyway. Each train had its own traveling post office, with a post master who sorted mail, and Railway Express packages,fed livestock and looked after the large milk cans.
Radio was the source of news and entertainment. When it was stormy, there was a lot of static, because each lightning strike was heard as a crackle over the radio. Every family gathered in the evenings to hear comical entertainers, or live band music from a room in a hotel.
There was a lot more, that people called "quaint" when you fourty year olds were kids.
Never, in the history of mankind, were there so many rapid changes in technology, that led to very drastic differences in everybody's lifestyle. 100 years! Imagine! That is all it took, to go from the life of Indians and pioneers who lived like them, to walking on the moon to now!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 PM

Very interesting!!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 AM

Lol---how true! I think it's pretty funny too--when you say these kinds of things to your kids or grandkids--they ask things like "Back in the olden days, when you were a kid, did they have cars...?" :shock: I remember asking my mother the very same question. I'm just waiting for my grandkids to ask their parents... :P