Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
color choices for a baby quilt for a boy... >

color choices for a baby quilt for a boy...

color choices for a baby quilt for a boy...

Old 04-16-2011, 04:24 AM

A few years ago I worked in a small NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) and the information we had then indicated that infants prefer (ie high levels of response to) black and white. It's a contrast thing so seems like brights would be good and pastels, well, kind of at the bottom of the list. Don't know whether current data supports this still or not.
Originally Posted by Holice
A very opinionated friend once told me that babies recognize bright colors before they see pastels.
After that revelation, my crib quilts have mostly been brights.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:31 AM

A few years ago I worked in a NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). The information we had then indicated infants prefered (ie showed increased response to) black and white. We used to make and hang black and white mobiles in their "incubators". Never quite understood how they could tell the increased response was pleasurable or scary but the babies always seemed to enjoy the movement of those mobiles. I think it's a contrast thing so stands to reason brights have higher contrast than pastels. Don't know whether current data still supports this or not.
Originally Posted by Holice
A very opinionated friend once told me that babies recognize bright colors before they see pastels.
After that revelation, my crib quilts have mostly been brights.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:32 AM

Sorry, didn't think the first response showed up fast enough so I wrote a second!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 AM

I love bright colors for baby quilts. This is a photo of the quilt I made for my doctor.....she was having a boy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-184990.jpe
Views:	78
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	184996  
Old 04-16-2011, 05:14 AM

My granddaughter had a little boy a year and a half ago. Her color choice for everything was blue and brown. I thought it a little strange at the time but made a quilt in those colors, anyway. She LOVED it! Now I see this combo in fabrics for baby boys all the time. It grows on you!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
I like the brighter colors. They can be any bright color, but primary colors would last longer, show less dirt and he might be more likely to carry it around with him longer. Just my opinion.
I was told years ago that babies really only see the bright colors--that is why the person in red can usually get the baby to come to them. So I'd go for the brights!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:23 AM

Babies aren't supposed to have anything soft in their cribs, including quilts and bumpers. It's to prevent deaths from SIDS. Some babies (very few, but no one wants to be "the one" ) have suffocated because of soft bedding and toys left in their cribs. Deaths have dropped dramatically since educational initiatives began to educate new parents. My son has a lot of baby quilts, but we use them for tummy time and play mats, rather than in his crib. His pediatrician says that it's ok to give him bedding when he's old enough and capable enough to move out of his crib. Until then, babies should be dressed more warmly, if need be, or wear one of the wearable blankets or sleep sacks on the market.

HTH!

Originally Posted by joyce blint
Originally Posted by quilt1950
I used primary colors for my grandsons, and at 6 1/2, the quilts are still in use. With the new 'sleep guidelines' quilts can't be used with small infants. These quilts were decorations until the boys were in toddler beds.
What is this about "sleep guidelines" and quilts??
Old 04-16-2011, 05:27 AM

I also don't think there's any such thing as boy colors or girl colors unless we teach our children that there is. Go with whatever colors you want.

That said, babies only see black and white for a couple of months, then they begin to see colors, but have the most luck with high contrast, so brights are relatively easy to see. However, if you want the quilt to last, he will be able to see all colors easily before you know it. Why not make more than one? ;)
Old 04-16-2011, 05:46 AM

I personally hate pastels in any quilt - never mind it being for a baby. Although he will love any quilt you make.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:48 AM

I have been seeing several baby quilts lately made using greens and browns. I have also noticed some very cute nature fabrics using these colors. To me these solve the boy/girl question -- who doesn't love baby animals?