Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A trick for tangled thread while hand quilting >

A trick for tangled thread while hand quilting

A trick for tangled thread while hand quilting

Old 04-15-2011, 07:37 PM

Don't leave your beeswax in the car during the summer... I use it with my embroidering.... thought I'd be more efficient if I left my sewing in the car and I wouldn't have to remember to take it with me ..... it melted all over my sewing bag and the embroidery I was working on. I was able to get the wax out of my work but my little bag is still stained.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 PM

THANKS FOR THE TIP . I WILL TRY THIS I ALWAYS USE THREAD HEAVEN
Old 04-16-2011, 06:15 AM

guess so..thanks for the tip
Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 PM

I too use beeswax but my quilt teacher told us that thread has a grain. When you take the thread off the spool and cut it, that cut end should be put through the eye of the needle and pulled down. This is the part you would put in the quilters knot. It works for me, I hope it works for you. The dryer tip is something knew for me but will definately try it.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:20 PM

I finished off a king sized hand quilted quilt, I had set it aside for several months, because my thread kept twirling, and knoting up on me. Thanks for the tip to thread your needle from the spool end first, not the cut end. It really helped. Next time I am using the wax tip along with this one. Thanks again, guys and gals.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 PM

It was so many years ago when I first started quilting. I did the whole thing by hand. It had applique, embroidery, and more. I didn't have many resources so in talking with the older lady quilters in the area I learned to use plain old bar soap on my thread. It worked!

Now ... Thread Heaven.

Though will probably try the dryer sheets relatively soon.

ali
Old 04-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Thank you for the tip. So far all I've used has been the bee's wax. :):):)
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 PM

No this really does work. Thanks for the reminder. Some may think I am a flake but I have noticed during my 40+ yrs of hand quilting that if i get a knot in my thread it is normally in the thread opposite from me...ie: I am right handed and when I get a knot in my double strand thread, it is not the piece of thread closest to me. A dear friend is also a hand quilter and she is left handed. She about freaked when I told her this but later came back and told me discovered this once I had mentioned it to her.....
Happy Stitching!!!
Originally Posted by quiltinggirl
I am teaching a hand quilting class at one of the local LQS shops. Some of the ladies that sign up for this class already know the basics to hand quilting so I was surprised to hear that they never heard of running their needle and thread through a dryer sheet first to keep it from tangeling.

Just curious, am I the only one that uses this technique??
Old 05-07-2011, 01:43 PM

I'm late at reading the posts here, but if anyone is still watching this, do you have trouble with your needle unthreading? If so, after you thread your needle, put the point of your needle through center of the thread of the short tail that you have to keep your needle threaded. Yes, you will be splitting the thread with the needle. Pull the needle through the thread, and it will knot it's self on the needle. It is easier with thicker thread than thinner thread, but I use this with my regular sewing thread too. It keeps me from losing a needle on the floor, or where ever I am, and also will keep the needle easy to find in the pincushion as it won't come unthreaded and go into the pincushion. To unthread the needle, just pull on that short tail and you'll get a loop and can pull the thread off the needle. Try this, It really does work! I hope this helps! I'd like to know if anyone else tries this and likes doing it. Or am I the only one who does this?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:46 AM

leslie, thats how youre supposed to do it...thread the needle, then cut!