Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips Topic >

Tips Topic

Tips Topic

Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 PM

I USE PENCIL HOLDERS FOR MY ROTARY CUTTERS . I ALSO USE PONY TAIL HOLDERS THE SMALL ONES PUT AROUND BOBBINS . TERRI
Old 04-15-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by AnitaSt
I guess this could be a tip...when I folded the fabrics on the ruler, I counted the number of folds and stuck a note on the shelf....13 folds = 4 yards. Now, if the note stays up there, I can figure out how much yardage I have without having to unfold and measure.
That's a great idea. Now I'll have to go back and re-count everything!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 PM

Instead of a tissue paper roll, I cut the bottom out of a plastic Crystal Light container and use it to roll my binding on. No twisting, dragging on the floor, etc. and, because it's plastic, it lasts for such a long time.

I also made my own pin cushion using a metal jar lid for the bottom. The needles stop when the point gets to the bottom, so they don't get lost inside the pin cushion. First I covered the jar lid by hot-gluing fabric on the outside. Then I cut a large circle and glued the edge to the inside edge of the lid, leaving a small area so I could stuff lots of batting in. Finished by gluing the final edge down and added some trim.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:10 AM

Did you know that if you used natural wool from sheep for your pincushions the lanolin from the wool keeps your pins smooth and sharp and helps to preserve them almost indefinately unless they get bent from use. This has been done for ages and ages.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 AM

I also wet the needle.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 AM

I put a dot of fabric glue on each corner...let dry well. that seems to help the sliding ruler etc.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by homebody323
My favorite tip - when making a quilt, make the binding when you cut the pieces. Put the ready for quilting back on a hanger that has a cardboard cover (used for comforters at the cleaners) then use a old style no clip clothes pin and slip one end of your binding through the center. Place the fabric and pin on the table (open end of the pin down) and spin your binding like a jelly roll. When finished slip it off the pin and put in a sandwich bag, seal and snip a small hole in the center of the top edge. Hang over the hanger neck. Now everything is ready to go the second you finish the top and you are sure you won't use the binding material for something else by accident.
What a great idea!!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder
At Dollar General I bought little pony tail holders that are like snippets of knitted tubes. There were 200 in a little purse, different colors. I slip them on bobbins to keep the thread from coming off. And they are color coordinated.

And cut your binding when you cut your quilt pieces. Otherwise you may use it for something else. If you change your mind, you have a 2+ inch strip already cut for something else.
I also use the tiny kitted tubes. They are wonderful. Also, my granddaughter loves to use them.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:38 AM

If you have magazines with only one or two patterns that you want to save, put them in plastic sleeve with three ring binder holes. I then put them all into a large 3 ring binder. Sure saves lots of space, and keeps them within easy reach.Nice to get rid of patterns that you won't use in a hundred years. Passing on unused patterns to others also helps get rid of the clutter.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 AM

I have done this too!!!