Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK....tell me I can do it! >

OK....tell me I can do it!

OK....tell me I can do it!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:13 AM

I read an article in Quilter's Home by Linda Hungerford titled "Better Quilting Through Wine". The idea is before you FMQ you have a glass of wine to get relaxed.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:13 AM

Go for it. What matters is that it comes from the heart. And I'm sure she will cherish it for years.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1943
I still use stencils and draw designs if I want something specific inside a big block. Like the idea of the wavy lines too. Whatever you decide, she'll love it. Don't judge until it's finished either. No one is going to look at every little stitch.
Yup. Just go ahead and jump in. And do not judge until the whole thing is done. I get hung up sometimes on a mistake or jog or whatever, but when it's done and you look at the big picture, it'll be great. The more you do, the better it gets. Relax, have fun, and go!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:35 AM

put some nice music on, not too fast not too slow and go with the flow
Old 04-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Dkm

I did one for my granddaughter and in the big blocks I put her initial. I made them large enough to fill up the block and turn them in different directions. That way she could see her initial in any different direction. She loved that.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by almostfree
I just finished pinning a quilt that I am making for my daughter's birthday....no problem. But now I have to QUILT it! OMG....I am so nervous to even try FMQ! I have practiced and practiced. I look at my practice pieces and think it's not good enough, but if I don't get started on it, I'll never get it done in time for her b-day. All the other quilts I've made, with the exception of a QFK quilt, I sent out to be quilted, but I'm trying to save a buck and do it myself. I suppose I could do SITD, but the pieces are too large for that. (It's a Turning Twenty lap quilt...so it's actually a Turning 12.) I'm getting myself all worked up, I can just feel it. Perhaps you have some easier ideas for quilting patterns. Help!!!!!! :shock:
I sure know just how you feel. I felt the same way till one day I just decided to go for it. After doing practice pcs. I picked up a tablerunner I had made earlier & did FM on it. I was so thrilled even though it was far from perfect, I ended up FMing everything in sight. I found that when it's done, it looked great. My crossed lines & pointy spots didn't even show up.
Just dive in & relax.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltSage
I read an article in Quilter's Home by Linda Hungerford titled "Better Quilting Through Wine". The idea is before you FMQ you have a glass of wine to get relaxed.
Think I like that idea!!!! If I have too many glasses, I'll be quilting all over the place!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 AM

I have done many turning twenty quilts and a few turning 12s and 10s. I have just tied them all. I love making them!!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 AM

I believe you can do this. I did it and had very little practice, have not used a sewing machine for very long about a year and a half when I started quilting. You just have to start and if you don't like something use your friendly little stitch ripper. Sewing on material is very forgiving art I have found ,so go for it.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 AM

I recently went through just what you are going through. It's far easier than you might think. Use variegated thread that blends with your fabric, or invisible monofilament thread for starters. Definitely go to Leah Day's Free motion Quilting Project (just search online, and you'll find it). Her tutes are tremendously helpful. Take your time. Good luck!