Extra income?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:25 PM

We have to pay 350.00 to 500.00 at all the shows at our state fair grounds and they have about 8 ayear. Balloon fiesta is 1500.00 to over 3000.00 but that's for 2 weekends at the big tent and everyday at the site, balloon takeoff site. Churches and schools go from 35.00 to 300.00. Prices start getting higher the closer it gets to Christmas. I don't think I could get 65.00 for aprons but then I never tried. There has been clothes sold at very high prices that I wouldn't pay 5.00 at Walmart. I didn't sell the last 2 years but went and people were selling, though they are starting to put limits on the amount of jewerly booths and the amount of commercial booths. Jewerly got out of hand everyone was making it and a lot wasn't very good. Commercial booths hurt all the crafters and shouldn't be allowed in any show listed as arts and crafts.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by SWChick
We have to pay 350.00 to 500.00 at all the shows at our state fair grounds and they have about 8 ayear. Balloon fiesta is 1500.00 to over 3000.00 but that's for 2 weekends at the big tent and everyday at the site, balloon takeoff site. Churches and schools go from 35.00 to 300.00. Prices start getting higher the closer it gets to Christmas. I don't think I could get 65.00 for aprons but then I never tried. There has been clothes sold at very high prices that I wouldn't pay 5.00 at Walmart. I didn't sell the last 2 years but went and people were selling, though they are starting to put limits on the amount of jewerly booths and the amount of commercial booths. Jewerly got out of hand everyone was making it and a lot wasn't very good. Commercial booths hurt all the crafters and shouldn't be allowed in any show listed as arts and crafts.
Exactly, I was so disappointed in Affairs of the heart this year! most of the booths were either bling or bling and I was there to see crafts not commericial booths I can see them at the malls!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:52 PM

I have 2 jobs, one 30 hours, one 2 nights an week and Sat. the second one, pays peanuts, but is fun and no stress, sometimes I teach a qulting class there.
My 3rd job is home based, I teach tole painting one night a week and quilt class one night (only student at this time).
Sew binding for a friend now and then a few $ here and there add up.

working on getting a yard sale scheduled for later.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 PM

I know a friend who is a Notary Public and does "signings" for $100-$150 each. She gets calls from (usually) Lenders who ask her if she is available at a certain time/date/area of town. She can accept or decline as her schedule allows. She downloads and prints the closing/refi papers and takes them to the signers house to witness their signatures. Then she sticks them in overnight mail to the lender and usually takes about an hour total.

You have to get certified, so there is some costs up front for that but you can get the training you need in a weekend. Additional costs for legal paper, toner cartridges, gas, and overnight mail costs are also things to consider. Most of her payments come in a month after the signing was made, so it's not quick turn around, but can be steady income once you get going.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
I just got a Vera Bradley catalogue in the mail and boy do those quilted hand bags bring in big bucks! Ladies, you are equally, if not more, talented. Get sewing! Make money! Vera Bradley, eat dirt! (Oops. That wasn't nice)
I agree,I see more talented people on this board than I do anywhere.The popular sellers like Vera,etc,make the crappiest stuff,plus it's ugly.The people on this board,can and do beautiful work.One thing I do see is a trend in people buying home long arms.And after they learn it,they quilt for other people and make extra money.But,people like me,who are on a limited income,can't do that.But I did see on utube where a gal does 'beautiful' work on her domestic home sewing machine.I mean her feathers were absolutely the best I've seen.So you don't need a long arm per-say.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 AM

I'm not in a place where I could use board services but I will definitely buy here first before I go somewhere else. That's just the way I feel and I will be needing long arm services, fabric, notions and books when I get back home. I will support anything that is positive.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Angelmerritt
I know a friend who is a Notary Public and does "signings" for $100-$150 each.......and takes them to the signers house to witness their signatures......
This sounded good to me till I read the part about taking the papers to the signer's home. No way would I go to a stranger's house nowadays, there are too many crazys in the world. I used to do that in the 80's and 90's for my job. And it was scary back then too!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by Angelmerritt
I know a friend who is a Notary Public and does "signings" for $100-$150 each.......and takes them to the signers house to witness their signatures......
This sounded good to me till I read the part about taking the papers to the signer's home. No way would I go to a stranger's house nowadays, there are too many crazys in the world. I used to do that in the 80's and 90's for my job. And it was scary back then too!
I think she has the option to ask them to meet her someplace too (I wonder if the public library would be a decent place).
Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 AM

I am going to watch this topic. I would like to retire but the company I work for started a 401k just a few years ago and the market crash took half of that and SS isn't very large. I was a single mother and used my money to take care of my kids therefore didn't invest. So I am tryng to think of something I can do at home to suppliment SS so I can stop the long days and hard job I am doing now. I did daycare while raising my kids and have no more patience for the parents. the kids were wonderful. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!!!
Lynda
Old 04-17-2011, 06:21 AM

good topic