Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What inspired you to start quilting? >

What inspired you to start quilting?

What inspired you to start quilting?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:03 AM

My mom is an incredible seamstress and quilter and taught me to sew, knit and embroider when I was a child. I made my first sundress for myself when I was 9 (my daughter still wears it). I have been sewing and knitting ever since. About two years ago I decided I want to make a quilt for my nieces first child. My plan was to embroider blocks and send it to my mom for assembly...then I started to read books and ended up doing it myself. Joined a quilting group and have taken some classes...loving quilting.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

My mom had 2 quilts with just the blocks made from my grandmother and my mom. I wanted to get them together before she passed away so she could see them finished. I finished them in 2004. You should of seen her face. She died in 2005 at the age of 92.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:18 AM

My grandmother quilted. she made a beautiful quilt with embroidered blocks my aunt did that had everyone's name and date of birth. Then i started working and a wonderful woman gave me a easy quilt pattern. pieced the top and put it away - it still isn't finished :( years later my sister started and joined a quilt guild. when i moved closer i joined. she likes to say she created a monster but i think it was linda who i worked with. also one day linda suprised me at work with a quilted/ appliqued apple wall hanging. i cried!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:20 AM

My grandmother's quilts (I am lucky enough to have three of them) and my girlfriend who lives where I was born and I go to visit her each year to can green beans, hot kraut, corn, and tomato juice/pieces. Hooked!!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:35 AM

Bed quilts were a way of life for my father's people. The earliest recollections I have of quilting was when I was five. It was an off and on thing, mostly when I visited my grandmother. The scraps used were from clothing my mother made. I remember the blisters on my hands and fingers from cutting quilt pieces as a Girl Scout. As an adult, most of my sewing years were for square dance clothes for hubby and me. I made bed spreads, afghans, and blankets, and whole cloth, tied quilts, but no piecing.

Crafts were a big thing of mine. I tried to enter one of every category listed for the county fair, including many small needle arts projects. Each year I admired the quilt displays. Then, perhaps 10 years ago, I decided that the "Year of the Quilt" had arrived.

In an attempt to broaden my social circle and make a quilt, I took a little quilting class. I used rotary cutters and mats with paper crafts, but never really thought about them as sewing aids. This alone was enough for the quilt bug to bite. I jumped in on the resurgence, combining my sewing skills with new tools and techniques.

Now, my sewing occupies 3 rooms and a good chunk of the basement, I have a stash, and have begun a collection of vintage machines. Although it looks as though I have some sort of hording illness. I'm teaching sewing, including quilting, to my 4-H students. I shop around, use coupons and teacher discounts, and the kids buy their supplies from me. Sew gratifying. Many thanks to this board for being enablers.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 AM

I have sewn off and on since I was young, but really became interested in learning to quilt after reading all those Jennifer Chiaverini books on Elm Creek Quilters and the Beverly Lewis ones on the Amish having quilting bees. It sounded so friendly and fun. So I hope to join my first quilt guild later this month. Judy G.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 AM

I have sewed since I was in 4-H at 10 years old. I didn't quilt until the early 80's when my dad died. His friend promised him before he died that he would make Mom a quilting frame. Dad died before he got it done, but he went ahead and made it. In the meantime Mom moved from the big farm house with 7 rooms to a 4-room apartment and couldin't use it in such tight quarters, so she gave it to me. I brought it home and haven't looked back since then. It is made from wood from the family farm, poplar, that Dad had stored in the barn witing to use in some manner. It is just like a piece of furniture.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 AM

I have sewn for as long as I can remember. First garments and such. then I sewed because I needed to make my kids clothes. I didn't work and you could get reminants for really cheap way back then. Once I got to be a bit older I saw the quilts grandmother made for each baby born in the family and one for every family member that got married. grandma and my aunts would get together and hand quilt the big ones on an old frame my grandpa made out of 1x3 boards. when grandma passed away I got the frame! I felt that I would like to carry on that tradition for my family. I haven't stopped since. As I quilt I have such wonderful and precious memories of my grandma and aunts quilts and quilting. It seems to bring me a great sense of calm and joy. I am now teaching my grand daughter to quilt. She is 9 years old and may be the one to carry on the family tradition! Quilting is a big part of me and I really can't imagine my life without it.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:23 AM

I started sewing when I took Home Ec in 8th grade. I have always been a crafty person. One of my grandmother's taught me to crochet and the other grandmother taught me to quilt. When I was a senior in HS I would go visit my grandma and we worked on a quilt. I bought the material and cut out the piecesa using a template and my grandma hand sewed them all together (she didn't trust me to make a perfect 1/4" seam!!). Very good memories.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:23 AM

My grandmother, aunt and grandkids! Never really liked to sew garments but quilts changed my mind about sewing. Started in January 2009 and haven't looked back!!

Kathi in PA