Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A good hand lotion,,,,any suggestions? >

A good hand lotion,,,,any suggestions?

A good hand lotion,,,,any suggestions?

Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 AM

I have found that Gloves in a Bottle works great for me and it doesn't leave marks on my fabric and it doesn't really have any scent. Have been using it for quite some time and love it. JMHO Also you don't have to use a lot of it . I keep it by side my machine when sewing.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 AM

This must be the best and least expensive cure for dry hands which I just discovered last December. I have the driest skin. My hands are rough and cuts form at the corners of my nails constantly in winter. I usually wear three or four bandaids at one time.

I buy pure glycerin (which Dr. Oz said should be the first ingredient for great skin care) at Walmart for $2.97 in the pharmacy section. Ask for help if you can't find it. It lists "skin protectant" and "pure natural skin softener" on the label. I use one drop with an equal amount of water which is enough for my hands AND face every night before I go to bed. It's been a miracle...no cuts and the smoothest skin I've ever had at a fraction of the price! I've only used 1/4 of the bottle in four months. Try it! You'll like it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-185399.jpe
Views:	173
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	185405  
Old 04-17-2011, 04:22 AM

For years have used only eucerin cream not the lotion. For me the lotions seem to dry out more. Use morning and especially night time. Here the winters are so hard on skin, occ get some eczema patches and that works so well. But I don't use it right when I am sewing. As a pediatric nurse OTC products recommended by Docs I work with are that and Aquaphor.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by sandyl
My LQS sells a product called "Gloves in a Bottle" and it is awesome. DOesn't leave a residue on the fabric. You can use it while you are quilting. A really, really nice product made especially for us quilters. If you can't locate it, I'll be glad to forward a sample to you. I am not affiliated with this company, but a lady in our quilt group gave us each a sample. Let me know!
Sandy
Looked this one up on Handcock fabric site. Theres was called "without gloves". I think I will also try to find this. My hands also get very dry and cracked while hand quilting. :)
Old 04-17-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by the old one
It was suggested to me that creams have less liquid in them than the lotions, so there is more value in using them. Just learn to keep white gloves in your night stand, cover your hands with cream and wear the gloves while sleeping, it is a nuisance, but the results are great. piecefully, the old one
Wow where can you find these white gloves to wear at night anymore. Do they even still make these? :)
Old 04-17-2011, 04:38 AM

I like a cream called "Acid Mantle." It can be found in pharmacies but they do not put it out on the shelves. You have to ask for it.

It comes in various sizes. The one I like is a little jar that is 4 ounces. That doesn't sound like much for $16.00, but you only need a little and the jar lasts a very long time.

The product works by neutralizing the ph factor of your skin. It smooths out the rough surface of your skin, making it easier to work with fabrics like silk. It is odorless and works right away. I love it! Oh, I believe it comes in a 1 oz. and 16 oz. size too. No company affiliation!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 AM

I use "Blue Emu" which also is great for achy joints. It has emu oil that my skin really absorbs. I don't use right when I'm sewing or knitting but every morning and night my knees, feet and hands get some. The least expensive place I've found it is Walmart but I do check prices everywhere I find it.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by janedennis
I dont use lotion I use a cream from Avon it is heavy intensive therapy and soaks in real quick and doesnt have any smell I go online at avon.com and they will ship it right to your home and most of time it is free shipping, right now it is on sale for 3.99 usually 5.99.

Ditto! This cream absorbs quickly and doesn't leave residue.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by MYWR
I use a dab of Norwegian Formula dry hands by Neutrogena - odorless and greasless and no makrs on my fabric either !
I agree with this hand cream, very nice.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:57 AM

I have found O"Keefe"s Working Hands to be very effective. Available at Lowe's.