Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What inspired you to start quilting? >

What inspired you to start quilting?

What inspired you to start quilting?

Old 04-17-2011, 04:42 AM

My husband inspired me to sew. Only been sewing for 1 year. I became disabled with type 1 diabetes. I was going crazy sitting at home. Seen a sewing show on TV one Saturday told him I would like to try that. And of we went to buy sewing machine and all the goodies.Now I send all my time sewing. I love it. Best therapy ever.And then I found this group. Everyone here is so wonderful.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 AM

I always made my own clothes, when my kids were born, I made theirs too. I sewed because at the time, buying fabric was cheaper than purchasing off-the-rack clothes. It was also before NAFTA and the cheap clothing that is available now from other countries. Fast forward 40 years; now most of our textile mills have closed and everything is imported and the value of the dollar has dropped. Suddenly, sewing and quilting is a luxury. In spite of that, I love to handle fabrics, pick out and coordinate colors and create a quilt that will provide warmth and comfort for family and friends. Egg money quilts indeed! I save my change in a jar each month and only use it for fabric.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:48 AM

My GM taught me basic sewing as a kid and I took home economics in school (anyone else make those peasant shirts and aprons). When my daughter was born, I sewed her clothes and a few things like curtains, Cristmas crafts, etc. Then, for many years, my machine only came out of it's box to do mending. Two and a half years ago I found a quilting class through the Community Education that our county school districts offer. Drug my sister to one and both of us are into it hook, line and sinker!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:57 AM

My DM is very crafty and made a lot of our clothes when we were young. I sewed clothes for my self and my boys when they were younger too. When we moved 9 years and I bought a new machine. I had always wanted to try quilting. I started watching Alex Anderson's show Simply Quilts and learnt a lot. My family learnt not to bother me between 5-5.30. Started with some simple quilts and then was invited to join our local group 'Heavenly Quilters' based in the Baptist church. Then I needed a quilters machine. Now I want a sit down long arm to do my FMQ. I have not looked back, now every member of the family has at least one of my quilts. I recently won champion quilt at our local show, very proud. I now have many UFOs (and a growing stash) and many more ideas of quilts I want to do before I die.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:01 AM

I started making quilts from left over fabrics when I first got married because I thought it would be cheaper to make my own bedspreads :shock: Little did I know that I opened up a pandora box. I just can't get enough of quilting.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:02 AM

I watched my mother and grandmother quilt when I was very young, and they taught me some. After grandma passed mom never quilted again. Due to a back injury I have not been able to work full time in the last few years. So I thought I would start sewing and doing some quilting. I have only made 5 baby / toddler quilts so far. Mom gave me all of her and grandma's boxes of fabric etc. There are a couple of quilt tops that need to be completed. And I have found a few odds and ends of blocks made that I am working on completing. I love the thought of having something that grandma, mom and myself all had our hands on even if it's many years apart. :D
Old 04-17-2011, 05:11 AM
som

my neice wanted me and my sister to make a queen size ,forever my daughter quilt, so she made one for her dd,my sister made one for her ,and i made one for my dd,for christmas about 6 years ago it was our first quilt, we machine quilted it had so many mistakes, but we had so much fun, we travelad 75 miles every weekend to work on it ,well i got the bug ,but they didnt,so ime still quilting ,im retired now ,and i dont know what i would do without my quilting som
Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I have sewed garments for years but never quilted. My friends had taken up quilting and I fell in love with them all. They gave me the inspiration and guidance to make my first quilt for my very first GNephew. That was the beginning of so much joy in my life. Afterall I get to spend each day with so many wonderful friends right here.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:32 AM

I started when my GM was cutting out squares with sissors i watched, then ask if i could help, On yes she showed me how to trace the Pattern block with a penceil the carfully cout on the line I was about 10. then i started helping my mom cut and iron each piece at that time mom hand sewen each block i learned that. Dad bought her s second hand Singer Tredle machine, Wwhat a machine. she tought me to how sandwich it and hand quilt. i was about 11 then. My Dad would all was tell me i would make a great house wife..When Dad passed away in his Casket him in uniform there was a quilt i made just for him...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 AM

I've always loved to sew and over the years made many craft projects that are now called quilts. I graduated to "real" quilts when I inherited all my MIL's quilting supplies. I took one class and have been quilting every since. I watched my MIL quilt and helped her with pinning, etc. for 20 years before she died. She loved the hand work and hand quilting--I like machine work.