Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What inspired you to start quilting? >

What inspired you to start quilting?

What inspired you to start quilting?

Old 04-17-2011, 02:56 PM

I have always loved handwork. Starting embroidery when I was about 10. Loved sewing in Home EC class in middle school and then made clothes for myself and sons when they were small. I had a niece in Calif that was going to turn 4 and decided to hand quilt her a little quilt to have while watching TV. That was the beginning of my quiltaphobia. That was 22 years ago. I learned most of my quilt knowledge from books, OPB sewing programs and Simply Quilts on HGTV. I still miss Simply Quilts. I finally have quilting friends to share knowledge with and have even taught paperpiecing.:lol:
Old 04-17-2011, 03:04 PM

I can remember when I was 5 or 6 sitting in the corner in the rocking chair my grandfather had made for my mother. Mom & her cousins had 'knitting club' when they met semi-monthly for years and knit or crocheted. They taught me to knit--never could get the hang of crochet.

Over the years, I've done all kinds of needlework--sewing, knitting, rug hooking, embroidery, needlepoint, counted x-stitch. My rheumatoid arthritis finally got so bad I couldn't hold a needle. DD suggested I try quilting since I could do it on the machine. (She's been quilting for a number of years.)

I've been addicted ever since! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A day without quilting is like a day without chocolate. :-D
Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM

I had been very ill - spent 6 months flat on my back in hospital, and a friend suggested that I join a quilting class for a break. That was 10 years ago. Well, the rest is history!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:35 PM

Does anyone remember those days when we could make a dress out of 1 yd. or 1 1/2 yds. of fabric? Those were my High School days and the day of the mini skirts. I used to find a remnant and make the cutest dresses for school. Those were the days! It would take more then 1 1/2 these days! lol
Old 04-17-2011, 04:36 PM

My grandma!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:37 PM

I remember that Donna in MO. :lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't want to see myself in 1.5 yds today :shock: My miniskirt days are over.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Donna in Mo
Does anyone remember those days when we could make a dress out of 1 yd. or 1 1/2 yds. of fabric? Those were my High School days and the day of the mini skirts. I used to find a remnant and make the cutest dresses for school. Those were the days! It would take more then 1 1/2 these days! lol
I used to take a needle and thread to school with me and hem my skirt/dress in the bathroom then let it out again before I went home. Well....someone took my photo in the hallway and it ended up in the year book. I was in big trouble.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieMeg
My DD was hoping that her grandmother would make her a baby quilt while she was able. My DD is not pregnant, and must wait three more years till her DH is out of law school. But she so wanted her future child to have a quilt made by her DGM. She fondly remembers, and still has the quilt that her DGM made her when she was little. She was very attached to that quilt. Mom had come to live with my husband and me by that time, and I tried to see if there was anything she could teach me. But as fate would have it, before Mom could make her quilt or teach me anything on quilting, alzheimers took that knowledge from her. She is 89 years old. So, I decided that I would make DD a baby quilt. I knew absolutely nothing about quilting. Zilch. Nadda. What was a quilt sandwich? Binding? So I went to the internet trying to learn what I could on the subject. I found this quilting board. And you people became my angels unaware. I read everything you guys wrote about techniques, etc. And then I just jumped in and made a quilt. I fell in love with that little quilt. All of the tears and sadness that I had poured out and became love put in to that little quilt. Because I was making it in my Mom's stead. Doing what she would have done had she been able. And making it for a child that exists in hopes and dreams for the future for my DD. It was also a coping measure and an escape to make that little quilt. It was my first encounter with dealing with that horrible disease of alzheimers that took my DM by storm. Tears stream down my face as I write this.
You all don't know, that in doing what comes naturally for you, and sharing it on this board, that you were my angels guiding me and helping me unaware. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being here, and being you.
I felt a part of that little quilt and of course I developed a passion for quilting. But I was not a seamstress ever. My DM was always so good at sewing that if I needed anything, she was always too happy to make it for me. So of course I have so very much to learn still.
My husband looked at the little quilt and declared that he wanted me to make him a quilt to use while watching tv or napping on the couch. That was a huge compliment. I'd have rather waited till I was more experienced and could make him one that was excellent. Surely that little quilt I had made turned out fairly well not due to any talent, but was guided by angels, and I'd never be able to do even that well again. But I jumped in and made one for him. It took me a long time to make. He picked the colors. Manly colors. It was a 'fun and done' quilt as you go method. I gave it to him Friday for our anniversary. I guess he really likes it. He's used it all weekend! It has flaws. But I learned a lot from it.
I have plans...oh I have many plans for future quilts! Stash building is already in progress. My hobby room that used to be for computer and scrapbooking is being overtaken with sewing items. Do you guys think I have the addiction ????
Wow, I just read your story and have tears running down my face. So moving. I also watched helplessly as a neurological disorder invaded my mom's cognitive capacities and then came the cancer on top of that. It's really hard watching your loved ones go through something like that.

Mom died 5 years ago and I just started quilting about 7 months ago. She was the seamstress of the family...NOT ME!...lol!...and I started quilting because I wanted to make something for my DS's FIL who had a stroke. A quilt seemed to be the thing...though, like you, I had NO clue! As I dusted off the sewing machine and fussed away at it as I made that first quilt...so many times I wanted to ask my Mom how she would have done this...or that. And then of course I wanted to show her so badly how it came out...she would have been so proud! :XD: It was a strange thing...occasionally out of the blue I would do something that instinctively I thought my Mom would have done...and I thought...I did I know to do that?...I guess watching her sew all those years rubbed off a little...subconsciously anyway. So when I sew, I feel close to my Mom in a special way.

And yes, the wonderful people on this board are definitely very thoughtful and loving angels helping us along. Quilting is very therapeutic...and so is this quilting board! Wishing you many happy years of making quilts! blessings, Karen
Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 PM

Yes Janet, my mini skirt days are over too. But they sure were fun. Now I am watching my granddaughters grow up. Jessica is 12 now and is growing up fast. Maybe I can teach her to sew soon. :}
Old 04-17-2011, 04:57 PM

I used to sew when the kids were little then I saw my cousin work on a quilt came home and a few months later I started a quilt for my daughter Lynn. She was a Cancer fighter for 4 years. She loved tiedyes and the color Purple. I found the material and started right away.She told me how she wanted it and I did it that way. Lynn never got to see the finished project but I know she would have loved it. I am giving it to her younger sister after I bind it in lavender satin binding.They used to sleep in one bad when they were younger and at night they would rub the satin throught their fingers they each had a corner. That is how I started. I started in June of 2010 and hope to have it completed by June 2011. P.S. After that I plan to do one for Lynn's daughter she likes lime green,orange and black. That will be fun to make