Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize your scraps. >

How do you organize your scraps.

How do you organize your scraps.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 AM

organized??? i wish!! some of the board members put me to shame. They have everything so nicely folded and stacked so perfectly... I havent got to than point. Mine is by color (sort of!)
Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 AM

If the scraps are leftovers from a quilt I'm going to keep or that I've given to someone in my family I save them in a plastic bag. I like to make pillows from them to give to the quilt owner (me or family) later. Other scraps go into a tote box for future unknown use.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 AM

I have a fairly large runnermaid tote sitting under my cutting table and toss all my scraps in it. Every now and then I will get in the mood to clear out some of them. I'll cut them into different size charms (2.5" to about 6") and strips. These go into the plastic see thru shoe boxes according to size. Guess I'm sorta organized with it and sorta not. :D
Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 AM

There is a new book out by Joan Ford Cut Your Scraps. It is great for not only organizing your scraps but actually using them to make spectacular quilts.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:17 PM

I try to use Bonnie Hunter's technique found on quiltville.com

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

But I still have challenges cuz I like to make crumb blocks too, and have lots of odd-shaped scraps that I don't want to cut into sqs etc.

It is always a battle I'm afraid.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:09 PM

SCRAPS ARE PUT INTO BINS BY COLOR....SO, if I want to do a blue & yellow quilt, I only have to look in 2 plastic bins! saves time and keeps them from getting so 'messed up'!
i also have a plastic bin for all my novelty fabric scraps....since they are used primarily on children's quilts.
then there are bins for my flannels, my corduroy, my fancy--lace, satin (for doll clothing,e tc), bins for solids by color. you can tell i have been saving for some time!!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
I try to use Bonnie Hunter's technique found on quiltville.com

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

But I still have challenges cuz I like to make crumb blocks too, and have lots of odd-shaped scraps that I don't want to cut into sqs etc.

It is always a battle I'm afraid.
thanks for the link! I think I know what to do now...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 PM

I sort them by width and keep them in empty plastic boxes that come from the grocery produce dept. Some are square, most are not. I label the box with the size and some day will make strippy quilts for charity with them. The sizes run from 1 inch to 4 inch.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM

I keep all my crumbs, for me 1" and smaller, together in a recycled clear plastic salad container. When it is full, I stuff it in an envelop and send it off to someone on the board who likes to do crumb quilting.
I keep all my dimensional (squares, rectangles, strips, etc) scraps in a plastic drawer together, well, 2 drawers now. I keep the rest, odd shapes and sizes, in plastic shoe boxes sorted by color. My inclination now is to sort the dimensional pieces by color also, I just have to figure out how to store it all as it won't fit into the shoe boxes if I put them all together. The way I have it now is really not convenient if I want only one or two colors in the dimensional scraps as they are all mixed together.
Even tho I am a mainly scrappy quilter, I do seem to be tending towards doing controlled scrappys. That makes sorting by color seem more useful for me.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:17 PM

As several quilters have stated, I cut my scraps into squares, and put them in clear bins, they are seperated my the different sizes.It works for me.