Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Support families of deployed service members >

Support families of deployed service members

Support families of deployed service members

Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

I can't imagine what you are going through. My husband travels for work - mostly just during the day but sometimes over night and when he does it just seems like everything goes wrong. There was a period of time where I couldn't wait for him to have an out of town trip so I could have just a little bit of peace - not now - I dread it now...I'm on edge the entire time he is travelling....so all I can do is send a cyber hug your way because I can't imagine how frayed you are after all this time!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Power Poster

Some lovely words here...and great advice.

My first husband wasn't in the military but would go away to remote Asia for work (quite dangerous work)...for months on end, whilst I was pregnant and with a toddler on the run. When the next one came along...the same again...months away at a time. It is hard being Mum and Dad and keeping things running, repaired and ticking over nicely. Don't ever hide your tears from your kids...I did and looking back, I think I did them a bit of a dis-service. Reading this brought back some bitter-sweet moments...the days when everything went wrong...the hot water system blowing up, car breakdowns, torrential roof leaks...all whilst he was away. The bedtime stories and the hugs from my little guy who used to say "We'll be alright Mum, won't we". All done, dusted and sorted by the time he was back....and him blissfully unaware. You will survive, so will your kids....hang in there and anytime you need friends we will be here. You are doing a terrific job and so is your husband. Love, light and peace and may he come safely home soon.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:59 PM

My heart goes out to you... thee is nothing wrong with melt downs. i think it must be God's way of speaking to our hearts that it's time to let it lose. Your tears will give you release, crying in front of your child will allow him to grow up knowing moms do cry and have feelings. When you husband is away it leaves you vulerable and shows you just how much you really do rely on your man. So when he comes home allow your love to grow remembering these times seperated. Remember to jump up getting him that extra cup of coffee and extra pat on back or shoulder as passing by.. So many little things we forget till they ae not in front of us. Your remembering will bring warmth to his heart and him doing all the things that you funble to do will bring you joy and warmth to your heart. God made us this way for good reasons. to always appreciate wha we have ((((hugs)))) and many special blessings just for you this day. :)
Old 04-18-2011, 12:21 AM

My heart goes out to you. I pray for your husbands safe return and for a healing of your heart. My husband is a disabled Veteran. Just give your son extra love and let him see you cry there is nothing wrong with that. Mom's have feelings too and kids need to see that and they also need to know that dad's also have feelings and there is nothing wrong if dad cries either. I salute your husband for serving our country. And I salute you for being in your husbands life especially now when you are feeling so down. No matter what, some days will be hard and some days will fly by like the wind blowing through the weeping willow tree. I kept a journal for a long time. It really helped me by writing down my thoughts and feelings. October will be here before you know it and he will be home. Sorry your mom just didnt understand. And Im thankful that your neighbor is going to help you. Take care. Breath Deep and have a cup of hot tea and a chocolate bar. God Bless you.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Power Poster

))))Hugs(((((((
Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 AM

I hope today is better for you. By any chance, is there a support group you could join. My son is Air Force and his wife tries desperately to connect with other families. For a while they lived in an area where there were no military families. Now they live on base and she is much happier. I know that probably isn't your case, but seeking a support group, if even on line, would be very helpful. Hugs to you and your kids. I wish you many less stressful days.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 AM

A special Thank You to your husband and to you for standing by him and supporting him. It takes a special person to be in the military and the love ones have to be a part for a long time. Hang in there and things will get better. May GOD bless you
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 AM

My love and hugs go out to you. My hubby was in for 23 years and I cried a lot of tears. I've also been through deployments with DD and DIL. We were blessed to be able to understand the problems. Everything goes wrong when they are gone. Know that you have lots of prayers following you and DH. And know how much we all appreciate your sacrifice. Wish I were closer to help.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 AM

In many states 4-H'ers participate in a program known as Operation Military Kid. We focus mainly on the youth, but are aware that the kids are a part of a whole family, and offer as much support as we can. On post, families tend to support each other, and have ready made networks. The challenge is all the families who live off post/base, and families of Reservists. We often don't know who they are. There are free summer and weekend camps all over the country, and a few international, for the kids. Mentoring, transportation so the remaining spouse can work and the kids can still participate in dance and sport activities and get to the dentist. In your case, yes, we even fix people up with a volunteer handyman/woman. (Sorry, we draw the line with snugglers.)

If anyone would like to participate, as a giver or a receiver, of these services, contact your local Extension office. Training will be provided to volunteers. A car sticker saying, "We Support Our Troops", will have more meaning when you actually get out and help the family too.

Nearly 60 years ago, my dad read aloud a short blip in a Reader's Digest about the benefit of having a cup of coffee with a neighbor. The statistics supported the fact that a casual chat with a neighbor was more helpful than time spent with a psychiatric professional. I think this board may be a version of that neighborly chat. Anyone ready for more coffee, tea, chocolates? Too early in the day for wine? How about a splash of Kahlua in that coffee?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 AM

My husband was in the Air Force for 23 years so I feel your pain. It's so hard when you are mom and dad both. Unless they have been in the military, most people do not understand what you are going through. It gives me a whole new respect for single moms. Hang in there. I know it's rough but tomorrow is a new day. Go do something fun for yourself or with a friend who understands. Please thank your husband - and you - for serving. People don't realize that we serve too.