Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Support families of deployed service members >

Support families of deployed service members

Support families of deployed service members

Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 AM

I know all about melt downs. My son was deployed in Iraq in 2005 and I don't think I slept the whole time he was gone. But, now for the encouragement...please know that your husband is fulfilling something he has to do. And in the word fo a very young but fiesty little Marine, "I am doing my part so that my family and people that I love will never see or do the things I have to do." Thank your husband for my freedom and for his service. Thank you for your service and for marrying a hero that loves you, your children, and this United States enough to stand up for it. This time will pass quickly and you will have much to share when he returns. I send you big hugs and don't worry about what anyone thinks and your tears. I shed a few for you while reading your post. If you want to talk pm me and I will send you my number. You are never alone. Hope your day is better. Hugs to you and your family.
Very proud mom of Cpl. B Love, USMC medically retired, WIA AlKarmah, Iraq 9/23/05
Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 AM

You are not alone in your daily struggles. I too am a "Deployment Single Mom". Yes, everything wrong does happen while spouses are not home and often in the same day. It sucks and is so frustratingly painful. I admire your courage to attempt to achieve so much while he is gone. I have my meltdowns on a regular basis. Mine were bad enough for me to get professional help and for that I have half the meltdown. I have one long distance friend who I can call day or night for someone to vent at. She too is a military spouse and I always return the favor when her dh is deployed. Don't know how I would have made it through without her. I pray for your continued strength and hope you can find a friend who is kind enough to be your "vent" on days like today when you really need it! Did you feel any better after you typed out your post? I sometimes will keep a deployment document that I add to when my days are horrible. The venting is theraputic. From time to time, I read through some of my older "ventings" and get a sense of strength that I have been through some tough days and somehow will manage through this too. I know that someday (after he retires) these horrible, no good, very bad days will just be a footnote in my life that made me the person I am. > and know that you are not alone fighting on the homefront!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:38 AM
KLO

Just wanted to send my hugs to you also. I cannot imagine what you are going through but I will definitely take your advice and help a military family if given the chance. Hope you feel much better now. It's a shame that all this stuff had to pile up in one day but you probably needed a really good cry to burn off a lot of those "left on your own" feelings. Now perhaps you can take a deep breath and carry on. You, your kids, and especially your husband will be in my prayers for the duration. Thank him for me and thank you for doing your part.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 AM

{{{HUGS}}} to you! We sometimes overlook the fact that the military is made up of families who are very young with small children and away from family for the first time.

Several years ago I attended a small church close to a military base. At least one Sunday a year I volunteered to take military parents' children home with me on Sunday afternoons (one family at a time). Parents were back well before bedtime, sometimes sooner, and all seemed thrilled with their few hours alone. This is particularly important after dad returns from a deployment. The moms always were so appreciateive of the smallest things like a gift basket w/lotions, shower gels, etc., homemade treats, anything handmade, gift certificates to McDonald's or a playtime pizza place. As usual, I was the one who really received a blessing.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 AM

Thank you for writing to remind families of deployed service members just how much we appreciate them sacrificing for the rest of us. I don't think people fully understand the sacrifice both the deployed and familes of the deployed give up. I thank you for all you have to endure and for the service of your husband. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:14 PM

Wish I was closer, so I could help you. Know we are praying for your husband and sending you hugs
Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by smagruder
I hope today is better for you. By any chance, is there a support group you could join. My son is Air Force and his wife tries desperately to connect with other families. For a while they lived in an area where there were no military families. Now they live on base and she is much happier. I know that probably isn't your case, but seeking a support group, if even on line, would be very helpful. Hugs to you and your kids. I wish you many less stressful days.
My husband went IA (Individual Augmentation), which means that I am all alone. In past deployments, I was either near family or was the head of Family Support for my husband's squadron. This is the first full year deployment and the first without the support of other spouses or my family. The nearest Naval base is hundreds of miles away and not once in this entire time have I heard one word from his command or anyone connected to the military to check in on us, even though I am supposed to get a call once a month. My husband has 27 years in the service and is getting ready to retire in October, so this is his last time. Thank God!

Today was less stressful. The biggest stress was trying to get on the Quilting Board today. I kept getting an error for hours and hours. :-)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Angelmerritt
You are not alone in your daily struggles. I too am a "Deployment Single Mom". Yes, everything wrong does happen while spouses are not home and often in the same day. It sucks and is so frustratingly painful. I admire your courage to attempt to achieve so much while he is gone. I have my meltdowns on a regular basis. Mine were bad enough for me to get professional help and for that I have half the meltdown. I have one long distance friend who I can call day or night for someone to vent at. She too is a military spouse and I always return the favor when her dh is deployed. Don't know how I would have made it through without her. I pray for your continued strength and hope you can find a friend who is kind enough to be your "vent" on days like today when you really need it! Did you feel any better after you typed out your post? I sometimes will keep a deployment document that I add to when my days are horrible. The venting is theraputic. From time to time, I read through some of my older "ventings" and get a sense of strength that I have been through some tough days and somehow will manage through this too. I know that someday (after he retires) these horrible, no good, very bad days will just be a footnote in my life that made me the person I am. > and know that you are not alone fighting on the homefront!
Hey... my husband was stationed at Whidbey! He was in VAQ130. My daughter was born at the hospital on base there (during a deployment!) We wanted to stay up there until he retired, but then he had the opportunity to come to Colorado (where our families are), so we jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, our families are still hours away, but at least not two days away.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:36 PM

Oh my heart goes out to you. It's so hard having hubby away defending our country and it seems like no one remembers the family left at home. Lots of hugs and prayers.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 PM

I know how you feel, I am one of those Husbands that got deployed more times than i care to remember. Leaving loved ones behind. The Marine familys all get together and make tapes (old huh) the send them to us where ever we were. This is what my unit would do.
My last tour was in Iraq 1990-91. late was the roughest one i had, it took a toll on a lot of family members. 4 men including myself lost wives to others. But if you need a someone to just yell at, IM me and i'll listen. I spent 20 years in the Marine Corps I think i understand just a little. Tell your husband Thank you for your service and Welcome :thumbup: