Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Skill level of Bargello? >

Skill level of Bargello?

Skill level of Bargello?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 AM

Oh I would so like to make a bargello. After getting the pat and reading the directions for the Spiral tabletop I got so confused - that it got put away. Reading all the post here I think I might have to give the bargello a try. Thanks everyone for all this great info. I just love this pattern and they are all so beautiful.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 AM

I think Bargello is much easier than it looks. I love doing it and have done one lap quilt size and several placemats sets of six. Also there is a American Flag pattern that is Bargello that I have done. I plan to do more Bargello when I finish the many ufo's that are calling tome. Just go for it but start out with easier patterns and then you will love it. I too did a Lone Star years ago and I found it to be very frustrating but I finished it and it turned out good. I donated it to a Silent Auction for a Charity.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Well said. Once you've selected your fabrics it's really straight forward.
Originally Posted by woody
If you can cut straight and sew straight you can do a bargello LOL
Take it slow and keep things organised it's not that bad
Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 AM

I had a Lone Star UFO from 2002. I picked stitches and it got so stretched out of shape, it would never be sewed right. I put it in a box on the top shelf. Every little bit, my husband would ask if I had worked on it lately? I finally couldn't take it any longer and put it in the trash. I cried buckets of tears while I tried to make that. I would call a LONE STAR a quilt for an advanced-well seasoned quilter!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by momski
I have a gift card from last year's B-day that I have been saving for "something special." Well, my LQS is having a class on Elieen Wright's Cosmic Twist pattern from her book "Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts." I love the look of bargello quilts and want to try one.

http://www.satin-moon.com/store/product3672.html

My LQS lists the skill level as advanced beginner. I am hesitant to sign up because the last class I took that they listed as advanced beginner was a very complicated Lone Star, which has sadly become the UFO I am most likely not to pick up again anytime soon. What do you think?
OK - Here's the thing.......while it may be a bit complicated....you have a wealth of friends on this board who would be willing to help you if you run into problems that the class does not cover. I would go for it.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:34 PM

I think Bargellos quilts are not hard, but to my way of thinking they are very tedious. You really need to have a good eye for color , unless you follow a pattern to a T. I believe the main thing is concentration in the placement of the blocks. Beautiful quilts. I actually bought a book, but that is as far as I have gotten.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
A Lone Star as an advanced beginner class??? Are they nuts?? What a certain way to cause frustration and chance for failure for any beginner/new intermediate quilter!! Heavens. One wants to ENCOURAGE them, not discourage them!

Jan in VA
I sure agree with you, Jan. I also have a Lone Star UFO that will probably never get made! I don't think the bargello will be too difficult, but takes concentration in placing the pieces just right after you get them chosen and cut...
Old 04-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Go for it. It is not hard. I agree with the other ladies. You will enjoy the class.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:48 PM

Go to the class. I made my first bargello just by reading the book. A class would help a lot, you would have someone who has done one to help you.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:00 PM
gus

I'm in love with Bargello and they are a lot easier than they look.picture of my first

First Bargello
[ATTACH=CONFIG]186091[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-186085.jpe
Views:	120
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	186091