Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-18-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
OK Vintage Machine owners...another question...On my 301 and my Redeye when you wind bobbin the needle goes up and down also...Is there some way to wind the bobbin without that happenning? I'm thinking not...but maybe I'm missing something.
Yes turn the center knob on the handwheel clockwise and the wheel will free spin loading the bobbin and the needle will not move. Glenn
Old 04-18-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
OK Vintage Machine owners...another question...On my 301 and my Redeye when you wind bobbin the needle goes up and down also...Is there some way to wind the bobbin without that happenning? I'm thinking not...but maybe I'm missing something.
Yes turn the center knob on the handwheel clockwise and the wheel will free spin loading the bobbin and the needle will not move. Glenn
Thanks Glenn...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Here are the pics. Will not post all cuz I'm like a new mom with her baby but will post some.
Congrats on all your new vintage machines! The Bernina looks fun and different! Enjoy and let us know what it's like to sew with the Bernina. I enjoy seeing what everyone creates using their vintage machines.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
Billy, you guys have gotten me so interested in antique sewing machines that I want to purchase a Singer treadle. I always sewed on my Mom's treadle until I got my own machine when I went to work.

I always go to garage sales on Saturday mornings. After never seeing a sewing machine at any garage sales, yesterday at the second sale was a Singer electric machine. The black paint on the machine was all chipped and the cabinet was a wreck. The finish was just about completely off of it and a leg was missing . It was $20.00. I didn't get it.
Luce321, I sent you a PM. Maybe it will help you in your search.
The next sale I found a Kenmore from the forties The machine it self was all black and in great condition and the cabinet was very nice too. I don't know if there were attachments with it. They were asking $50.00. Do you think that was a good price?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:10 PM

Chris- Nice collection of beautiful machines. I am afraid your Kitty might be a little jealous that it's been replaced as the apple of your eye :) Love all your new gems. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Judy
Old 04-18-2011, 04:33 PM

Billy, you guys have gotten me so interested in antique sewing machines that I want to purchase a Singer treadle. I always sewed on my Mom's treadle until I got my own machine when I went to work.

I always go to garage sales on Saturday mornings. After never seeing a sewing machine at any garage sales, yesterday at the second sale was a Singer electric machine. The black paint on the machine was all chipped and the cabinet was a wreck. The finish was just about completely off of it and a leg was missing . It was $20.00. I didn't get it.

The next sale I found a Kenmore from the forties The machine it self was all black and in great condition and the cabinet was very nice too. I don't know if there were attachments with it. They were asking $50.00. Do you think that was a good price?
luce321 - Here's my 2 cents worth. Buy what you like and what you feel is a fair price for vintage sewing machines. Prices seem to very depending on your location and condition of the SM or cabinet.

The first thing that you might consider is why do you want a vintage SM? Quilting, general sewing, resale or because it remind us of special times from our past. Many of us use our vintage sewing machines so we buy what meets our sewing needs the best. With that said, I buy some sewing machines just because I think they look cool; I want a restoration project; or the sewing machine says "please take me home".

The nice thing about buying a vintage sewing machine is -If you don't like it you can always resale it at a later date. :)

I hope you find a sewing machine that will meet your needs and enjoy the search. I think that many of us find that the story behind buying a sewing machine is part of the fun.

Good Luck!!

Judy
Old 04-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523

Luce321, I sent you a PM. Maybe it will help you in your search.
I use vintage treadles because I like to sew with them. It is a personel choice as to which one to get. I prefer to sew with a singer mdl66. I have two of them plus other vintage machines just because they are cool to look at. Actually I sew with all of them. Make sure the cabinet is in good shape and all the parts are there with sewing machine. Soon you will find one that says take me home. clean me and sew with me. Happy Hunting Glenn
Old 04-18-2011, 04:57 PM

I went to an auction this weekend and picked up a box of sewing attachments for a Kenmore that I do not need. Contains a couple feet, new zig zag throat plate, needles, scew driver, side cutter, and misc.

If anyone is interested please send me a PM and I will send photos.

Judy
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 PM

This is the machine l got given on saturday morning it is a Wertheim no on base 643518 it does say made in Germany but l was told it is the wrong shape for a real Wertheim could you help me with this please

this is the foot with it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]186132[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-186125.jpe
Views:	225
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	186131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-186126.jpe
Views:	170
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	186132  
Old 04-18-2011, 05:57 PM

l would also like some help if any one can tell me anything about this machine l just fell in love with it, it has my husbands star sign and a bullet shuttle
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-186127.jpe
Views:	310
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	186133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-186128.jpe
Views:	233
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	186134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-186130.jpe
Views:	211
Size:	26.3 KB