Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The new Quiltmaker mystery quilt >

The new Quiltmaker mystery quilt

The new Quiltmaker mystery quilt

Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 PM

Is anybody out there making the new mystery quilt that just started in the latest issue of Quiltmaker magazine, it's the May/June issue. If so, would you like to join me in documenting our progress? Come on, let's do this together! I need all the help I can get to complete yet another project. So far I've just chosen the fabrics, if anybody else is interested and wants to play along, I'll post a picture of my fabric choices.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Dix

Hi, I really like this pattern and had thought I might like to do it. I have had my right arm in a cast! doing well but I am going to Ireland and England in May and I will see how I do when I get home. I will earmark your message and let you know!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 AM

Heal up well and have a wonderful trip!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 AM

I just saw it in the magazing last night. I haven't read about it yet but I did see the fabric choices that were going to be used.
I am interested in doing it but working on "Essentially Irish" king size quilt top for my daughter. I am doing it in blenders with different shades of pink and purple. Those are her favorite colors.
I think it will be gorgeous but oh my, all those 1,957 seams to sew! It is a take on a double? or triple? Irish Chain.
Maybe I can learn out to move pictures around on the computer so I can post some of it. I feel at this point I am not going to get it done. lol.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by dhanke
Is anybody out there making the new mystery quilt that just started in the latest issue of Quiltmaker magazine, it's the May/June issue. If so, would you like to join me in documenting our progress? Come on, let's do this together! I need all the help I can get to complete yet another project. So far I've just chosen the fabrics, if anybody else is interested and wants to play along, I'll post a picture of my fabric choices.
Also, I am going to a quilting retreat toward the end of the month.
If you can't find anyone else interested, I would consider doing it in May. I would love to see your fabric choice for it. Are you using a line of fabric or scappy or just matching fabric?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM

I love doing mysteries and this one seems to be a good one. The blocks to make in the first installment are easy enough but what is stalling me is the coloring. 9 colors boggle me. I wish it was told in a different way. Like background, light- light medium- contrast. I have 9 colors picked out beige, pinks, and chocolate but can't decide what order to use. I don't have a way to post pics or I'm sure someone could help.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 AM

I have a hard time with choosing all of the fabrics upfront, I've chosen 9, but I'm not afraid of making changes if they don't seem to be working out.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM

I'm not going to start until May either. I just pulled fabrics out of my stash, I started with fabric #8 because to me it seemed like it would be a focal fabric, it requires the most yardage so it will have the most impact. I chose a medium scale leafy pattern with a wine colored background and yellowish greens, then I selected the rest of the fabrics to work with it.
Originally Posted by coolcat
Originally Posted by dhanke
Also, I am going to a quilting retreat toward the end of the month.
If you can't find anyone else interested, I would consider doing it in May. I would love to see your fabric choice for it. Are you using a line of fabric or scappy or just matching fabric?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 AM

I will probably do this pattern eventually, but I have 5 other projects lined up, and DH is gonna shoot me if I don't get one for our bed made!! After all, it's only been 5 years since I started quilting, and we STILL don't HAVE 1 on our bed!!! LOL
Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 AM

I can't figure which will be background. For this step should I go with all beiges as she did for Spa variation or put a pink focus in #3 as the Summer variation? With my colors maybe I should use the Summer but the yellow #6 looks like it should 'pop' and all mine blend as the Spa colors except for the chocolate my darkest color. Oh heck I am over- thinking, I need to just do it, that is what a mystery is! Sorry about that.