Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The Oddness of Estate Sales >

The Oddness of Estate Sales

The Oddness of Estate Sales

Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
What creeps me out is when they try to sell open medicines. Who would buy someone's open aspirin, eye drops, toothpaste? I have even seen used denture cups for sale.
YUCK !! All that kind of stuff needs to go into the TRASH first, who wants USED PERSONAL things ? ... and opened medicines ? CRAZY
Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 AM

The owners would probably want someone to love their things, rather than seeing them tossed.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mimito2
I went to an estate sale last week and bought a handmade (by the deceased) cabinet to use as a pantry for $22. The Family thought it was junk.... I silently thanked the person that made it and assured them that I would make good use of it. I know that may seem silly but it makes me feel better about buying (stealing) it. As for my stuff. It will be given/thrown away for a pittance and my sons will run thru the money like water, Makes me want to leave it all to the local school system for a school to be built on for this end of the county instead of the kids having to ride the bus for an hour...It would be better appreciated.
I've done the same thing... say a silent thank you. My husband and I have only recently started going to some estate sales that are in the area. A co-worker has been going for years to 'ritsy neighborhoods' and they buy jewelry and re-sell it for a profit... so I thought 'what the heck'
The first one we went to was in a cabin-type of home tucked in the woods. I couldn't believe we were allowed to go into the house, the bedrooms, the basement. People were using the bathroom! I was shocked, only having gone to garage sales before. At least this one had the forethought to put plastic down on the carpets.
Another one we went to had put nothing on the floors and I felt bad wearing my shoes in the house (a big no-no for me!) and I remember thinking... (my mother is still alive) but God forbid, if we had to do this to my parents' house...she will definitely roll over in her grave having all these strangers tramp through her house, dirty-ing the carpets and rummaging thru everything.
I do agree, it is a very wierd experience, but at the end of the day it helps you realize...
that you can't take it with you
and one man's junk is another one's treasure.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Interesting thoughts here. I have been to many different estate sales, mostly looking for sewing related items. I DO like looking at the architecture of the house, and appreciate professional sales more that family run ones, if I can tell the difference. Some lately have felt like the end of a hoarders episode, just trash and garbage really. Most have been enlightening and enjoyable experiences. I am trying to no longer go to them because I tend to always find stuff that is too good to leave there. I really need to downsize and have been cleaning out my "treasures" and giving them to people I think will enjoy them. Having no children and no family nearby, I need to take care of this NOW!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ShortRound
All of this reminds me of a poem I read in an old 80's craft magazine. I printed it out and keep it where I can see it in my sewing room.

Out of this life, I shall never take
Things of silver and gold I make
All I cherish and hoard away
When I leave, on earth must stay

Though I have toiled for painting rare
To hang on my wall, I must leave it there
Though I call it mine and boast it's worth
I must give it up, when I leave this earth

All that I gather and that I keep
I must leave behind when I fall asleep
And I wonder often, just what I shall own
In that other life when I pass alone

What shall he find and what shall he see
In the soul that answers the call for me?
Shall the great Judge learn, when my task is through
That my soul has gathered some riches too?

Or shall at last, it be mine to find
That all I worked for, I had left behind

I don't know the name of the author but I really liked this poem.
Me too...if I was still doing estate sales I think I would put it on the back of my brochures!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 AM

This post is very close to home for me !!
My Father passed 2 years ago this May !
He is very missed, he lived with me the last year of his life, I am so glad that I got to spend that time with him.
He didn't have very much, but what he did have , clothes and some books, photos ! They are still here with me !! Some of the family has asked about his stuff, Hey you know he has some unders in the dresser , and some socks , you wanting them. famlies are so different when it comes this kind of stuff !!!!
I have used some of his shirts in some projects that I made for Christmas last year.
My Mother passed in 1999, well needless to say the family came and got what they wanted and left the rest for me to clean up, oh my mom had so much stuff, I tried to keep all of the sewing stuff, she had a ton of latch rugs , After I went through what was left and got what I thought my children my like as they got older .No one wanted the hankies that our Great Grandmother made or the dishes, or the crafts Mom made. I took as much stuff as I could , boxes and boxes of memeories from my childhood.
I had the hardest time parting with her stuff, I tried to find good friends that needed some of it , and charities that would need some things. at the end of a month after days and days of cleaning boxing and just reliving my childhood !!
I had an estate sale... OUTSIDE! I just couldn't let strangers in the house.
Oh it was the hardest thing I think I have done !!! seeing strangers leaving with my mom's stuff was so hard.
But I have thought about this stuff concerning me ,,, my kids would kill me !!I have saved cards , photos, their drawings, toys, baby clothes.
I quess I need to make sure all this stuff is orginized so they will know what it is and what it has ment to me !!
How do know what someone else's memories mean to them, even if it is just a drawing on a note book page !!!
I could not disrespect my parents and let strangers dig in their drawers.

This was in the box that went to the family for Christmas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]186373[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-186367.doc (24.5 KB, 141 views)
Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM

You know, I've had that same feeling a number of times at estate sales. Sometimes, though, that sense of the owner's presence can be a wonderful thing. You see evidence of a life well lived, of family well-loved. It always saddens me though when there are so many things left of a persons life that are unclaimed and unwanted by their children.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 PM

Janet: My Mother died last May...she had Alzheimer's. The last six months of her life was spent in a nursing home. When we had to move her from an Alzheimer's based facility to the nursing home, she could only take several small things and her clothes (limited amount). This was the sum total of an 87 year olds life: one picture of each of her six children, none of her grand and great grand children, a lamp, a small quilt I made for her, her Bible, a bedside table and a small chair. Thank you God for not letting her be of sound mind so that she didn't know.......I felt, and still do feel like I abandoned her. I do know what you are going through and ask God to help you, he will. That is the only way I made it through. Thank you and I will remember you in my prayers.

Respectfully, GiGi
Old 04-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

Originally Posted by Mimito2
I went to an estate sale last week and bought a handmade (by the deceased) cabinet to use as a pantry for $22. The Family thought it was junk.... I silently thanked the person that made it and assured them that I would make good use of it. I know that may seem silly but it makes me feel better about buying (stealing) it. As for my stuff. It will be given/thrown away for a pittance and my sons will run thru the money like water, Makes me want to leave it all to the local school system for a school to be built on for this end of the county instead of the kids having to ride the bus for an hour...It would be better appreciated.
You should do with your things as you would like. Why do we assume our Family should get all we cherish. Unless you know it will be appreciated. I say, if it would make you feel better knowing it would be appreciated and used for a great cause, leave it as a gesture of love to those you want to have it.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM

Me too!