Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Support families of deployed service members >

Support families of deployed service members

Support families of deployed service members

Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 PM

Hi. I am a navy wife of 26 years in australia. been there done what you are doing now, a few times over the years.
Make sure you get professional help in place too. civillians most of the time just dont understand or after a while they tend not to wont to hear about it.

talk to me if you need.

hug jane.
Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Today was the first day since my husband deployed last October that I had an absolute meltdown. I was at Lowes and this customer was a real bully, refusing to wait his turn to get help. The saleslady did nothing to stop his verbal abuse, so I finally turned around and walked out of the store, pulling my nine year old behind me. I sat out in the car and lost it. I cried and cried and cried. Had my husband been with me, I know I would not have been bullied like that.

Then, I went to Home Depot to get the blinds that I needed, but they were out of the right size. So, I left there in tears and stopped at a convenience store to buy a pair of sunglasses to cover my tear streaked face and swollen red eyes before I had to go pick up my daughter from a birthday party. I then called my mom for some emotional support as I drove the short mile to get my daughter and my mom started giving me a lecture about not crying in front of my son, so I hung on her, pulled over and cried some more.

After getting my daughter, I made a fifteen mile trip to another Lowes to get the blinds I still needed. The sales lady there was great, but checking out, the cashier acknowledged my military ID for the discount, but forgot to give it to me, so ten minutes later, after having to go to customer service to get a fourteen dollar refund, I cried again, all the way to the car.

I get home, only to have a dead drill, so while it was charging, I decided to try my hand at hooking up our sprinkler system. Everything was good, until I turned it on and water spewed from several heads. After getting mud up to the elbows, splattered mud across my t-shirt and face, and a large cut across my hand when I slipped cutting a fitting, I sat in my front driveway and started crying again.

I want my husband home so bad it hurts. I want to not have to figure out how to install blinds, fix sprinklers, patch ceilings, repair gates, change staircase lights, clean out gutters, fix dripping faucets... I want to curl up next to him each night and have somebody here to share the day's stresses with. I want my kids to not cry themselves to sleep at night because they miss him so much too.

Today I needed help. I needed someone to lean on for support. My neighbor took a few minutes to talk to me and her husband is coming over to look at my sprinklers sometime this week. It is amazing how just a small act of kindness can make such a huge difference. Their support gave me the emotional strength to make it a few more days. My husband is not coming home permenantly until this next October, so I have only my friends and my neighbors to support me through this.

So, if you know someone who has a spouse that is deployed and you can help them, please do. A small act of kindness goes a long way.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I so wish I was closer. We try to hard to support the families of our heros it is just hard to know how to help. I will keep your family in prayer as that is all I can do right now. Please know that it is ok to cry even in front of the kids. They need to know it is ok too. You are so amazing doing all you do right now I so wish I was closer. take care Jade
I have to second these thoughts....no offense to your mom, but it is truly OK to cry in front of your kids...yes, it scares them some to see the person they look to (and always assume is so strong) break down and "be weak" and cry....but it is reality. Just because you are an adult does not mean you don't have moments of weakness. Truth is the kids gain more understanding and maturity from seeing you cry, then seeing you pick up and move on. They discover that breaking down is NOT weakness nor a sign that you are mentally unstable (even though you may feel that way ;-) )....it encourages them to accept these difficult emotions and then find a constructive way to deal with them...and move forward. IMHO trying to hide your emotions and tears only confuses them more...you don't provide them with an acceptable and functional way to deal with their feelings because your example is to always hide the feelings.....this can lead to unresolved fears and a turning of ones emotions inward....and that can and does lead to all sorts of problems, both physical and mental.

Now enough of my lecture!! Sorry, I am too far away to help you physically, but I truly want to help encourage you here. You have a tough job holding down the home front while your husband gives his time, and energy to keep me free. And I value this. And I thank you for letting him go and do his duty...serving me and mine. Your job is not an easy one....and you shouldn't carry nor entertain any guilt for breaking down, feeling angry at the insensitivity of others, or just having a real tough day.

Saying "hang in there" doesn't help much....but I'll say it anyway...."Hang in there"........today the sun comes up anew, today life won't slap you with so many hard times, today you can get through.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, and your children, today......

:thumbup: :-)
Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 AM

Oh my, I wish I was near enough to give you a big hug. My new hubby would have gone to your house and made everything right while we would have shared our fears and joys over a nice cheesecake, chocolate, and wine.
I am an Cav Mom. This is the third deployment to the mid east. The first one he's done with a wife at home. Even though he is all grown up, he is still my son and has a big part of my heart. Just wish I was close enough to give emotional support to my daughter in law.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 AM

I am so sorry! My dad was AF 20 years. Me too--AF Brat. I don't understand all you are going through, but I will be here for you if late at night you need to vent--just PM me and we can talk--I'll listen and you can rant!
You are a strong person who just had a bad day. If you weren't strong you would not have married a military man. Life is good--just do your best and ask for help. People are out there to help--you just have to find them and ask.

Carol from NC
Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 AM

My heart goes out to you. My daughter's husband enlisted into the army because he wanted to help. He is younger than dd. He will be 43. My daughter was the next thing to a mental breakdown. She is better now. He will be home end of June for a visit.
HHuuuggggggsssssss
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 AM

I wish I lived close to Aurora! You, my dear woman, would have all the help you needed. Alas, all I can do is say thank you and pray for your husband's safe return and strength for you to carry on. The families are the unsung heroes. Hang in there and know you are not alone!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 AM

I'm so sorry you had a rotten day! My husband used to travel alot with his work, but at least I knew he'd be home in a few days and I didn't have to wait for a year. One time after the kids and I stood on the front porch waving good-bye I came back in the house and the doorknob fell off in my hand! I thought, "Oh, no it's going to be one of those kinda trips!!!" He used to call me his little pioneer woman because I always had to fix things when he was gone..no fun!

You just hang in there and if you need to cry, it's ok, even in front of the kids. They need to know that mom has feelings too. It's a wonderful service your husband is doing and your sacrifice goes beyond measure. Anytime you need to vent or want a "hug from afar" you just shoot me a PM and I'll be there.

Hugs and prayers to you and your family!

Carol :lol:
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Wish we lived closer to you cuz my husband would come over and help you and I would be there to give hugs and help with the kids. It is such a horrible thing for anyone to go through, and know this from experience when my son was deployed and his then fiance now wife what she all went through. Will keep all of you in my prayers.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Yes, it's ok to cry and be sad. Your situation is not an easy one. I pray that you will have the strength to endure while your husband is away. Remember, he is in your heart and will always be close to you! Come to the board for support as often as needed. We are all here for you!
HUGS!!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Bless your heart! If we lived closer, I would send my wonderful house husband to help you. He is a wonderfully sweet guy and helps all the ladies in our neighborhood who are alone. Most are older, but he would help anyone who needed it.

Hugs to you and blessings for your husband and all the other folks who help to keep this country free and safe.