Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Skill level of Bargello? >

Skill level of Bargello?

Skill level of Bargello?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Bargello is my favorite quilt pattern. I was very intimidated when I did my first one, but once I got the hang of it, it was great! Dont' be discouraged. Give it a try, label your rows and just take your time. If you run into problems, pm me, I will try and help you.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:12 PM

I was a stone cold beginner when I did my first pieced quilt---a bargello heart---and I almost never made it past that one! That was 10 years ago (and I have done another since then and it was a snap!) I am an obsessed quilter with no regrets. I say suck it up, take a deep breath and plunge on in!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:26 PM

Like the girls said make sure you label your strips. Go for it. It's not as difficult as a lonestar.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 PM

I can understand your hesitance, but it is certainly a gorgeous quilt. How motivated are you? Do you have fabrics in mind? I know at the classes I've taken, I learn little hints to make things work better. If you really are smitten with this quilt, I think you should try it. You never know when or if it will be offered again.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by gus
I'm in love with Bargello and they are a lot easier than they look.picture of my first
I love yours too!!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 AM

Is there a trick to selecting fabrics? I've seen some GORGEOUS bargellos and I've seen pictures of some that are just so-so. Selecting colors is not my forte, but I do know that I like something when I see it completed (and vice-versa). I'd really love to try a bargello, but I'm fearful of choosing my fabrics...any tips???
Old 04-19-2011, 02:09 AM

someone spoke of fabric choice earlier on this post... scroll up or back to page 1.... my lqs ladies help with anything... just ask!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

The class will be fun and you will at least understand the concept of making a bargello. Then if you have any questions, there are many, many people on the board who would be willing (and excited) to help you! Good luck with it! Please show us what you make!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by momski
I have a gift card from last year's B-day that I have been saving for "something special." Well, my LQS is having a class on Elieen Wright's Cosmic Twist pattern from her book "Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts." I love the look of bargello quilts and want to try one.

http://www.satin-moon.com/store/product3672.html

My LQS lists the skill level as advanced beginner. I am hesitant to sign up because the last class I took that they listed as advanced beginner was a very complicated Lone Star, which has sadly become the UFO I am most likely not to pick up again anytime soon. What do you think?
IMHO - I think you may be happier with the Bargello than you were ith the Lonestar. Lonestars have lots of bias edges (Pain in the b__t for beginners) Bargellos have all straight seams, so they are just easier. The only real challenging thing there is staying organized. IMHO :-)
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM

A great book to buy is Bargello Quilts with Twist by Maggie Ball. You can also order a DVD. Nancy's Notions. I have a hard time finding the time to attend classes so books with DVD's are a great learning tool!