Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
OK Vintage Machine owners...another question...On my 301 and my Redeye when you wind bobbin the needle goes up and down also...Is there some way to wind the bobbin without that happenning? I'm thinking not...but maybe I'm missing something.
Yes turn the center knob on the handwheel clockwise and the wheel will free spin loading the bobbin and the needle will not move. Glenn
Mine does not stop when I loosen the center knob on the hand wheel to wind the bobbin. Any ideas?
Remove the wheel from the machine and clean the shaft and oil it good. The wheel may be sticking on the shaft. It must move freely. Glenn
Hey Glenn, my 301 bobbin winder is practically stuck tight, barely turning at all. How can I take it apart to clean it? Thanks.
Billy can answer this better than I can. I have take the winder off the machine and soaked it in kerosen to loosen it up and then oiled it good. Some times the center screw on the large wheel gets to tight. Glenn
Old 04-19-2011, 03:27 PM

How do I get the answer to my post? Thats silly if I don't know I can't get your answere.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM

I have been posting for sometime now and have asked several questions, but never got a reply. I must be doing something wrong. Just posted one to Billy two days ago.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 PM

Linda, it looks like GO not G0. Just myopinion.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM

Sharon, hope your surgery goes well. Hurry up and get well.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by sewgram1
How do I get the answer to my post? Thats silly if I don't know I can't get your answere.
Hi sewgram1 - not all of us are as experienced & knowledgeable as Billy & some of the others who visit here. Plus, all of us, including Billy, are in & out at various times. So please be patient...someone will be along who will see your questions & probably be able to help you. :)
Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewgram1
Does anyone know about a chain sewing machine called Willcox and Brigs?
Could it be Wilcox and Gibbs?
This website gives a brief history of the Wilcox and Gibbs
company. Alex really knows his stuff.

http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_gibbs.htm

Sharon W.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:47 PM

Thank you for your generous reply about my Singer. I've been reading on the two websites since I received your email. The machine in the picture has a hand-crank. I've not yet gotten coordinated enough to turn the crank with my right hand and operate the machine with my left. Also, the bobbin is shaped more like a rolling pin that a... flying saucer(?). It's just a bit tricky. I'll keep my eye out for an older machine for your granddaughter!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by star619
Billy,
...Also, any idea where I could get a key, or should I just keep using the screwdriver? Thanks. star619
I have an old W&W treadle I plan to work on this summer and I just eyeballed the key opening and then searched on ebay. Seemed to be able to choose from square ends, triangular ends, or flat. You may try that and see what you find.
Cindy
Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM

I sent you a Private Message (PM) to answer your question on finding vintage sewing machines. If you haven't used PM yet, just look at the top of this page for "Private Messages" and click on it. Hope this helps! Jan