Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost of Featherweight "Tune-up"? >

Cost of Featherweight "Tune-up"?

Cost of Featherweight "Tune-up"?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 PM

If you have a manual, you can service her yourself. I have had mine for probably 15 years or more, and she has never needed to go for a check up because i do it myself following the instructions. It is very easy! Jan
Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM

I ordered a cord from FeatherweightRX, only about $9.00 before shipping cost. Waiting for it to arrive so DH can rewire the peddle.
Congradulations!! Waiting to see pictures:)

I am signed up for a "Care and Feeding of your Featherweight" class May 7th.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 PM

I posted photos of before and after earlier today under "pictures". Hope you take a look. :)
Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Check this man out. His prices seem really fair and he does the circuit at some of the quilt shows.
http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/glenn.htm

Ann in TN
Glenn Williams is wonderful to deal with, I've bought a white FW from him and many parts.
Sharon W. in TX
Old 04-19-2011, 05:11 PM

I agree with the post about Glenn Williams. I live in the same Tampa, Florida area as Glenn, and he is a very nice man and is very knowledgeable of not only the Featherweight, but other vintage Singer sewing machines. He has serviced my own Featherweight in his "workshop" garage. Wow! What a wonderful workshop! To me, it looked like a vintage Singer "hospital" for ailing machines :) Jennie :P
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM

I had to smile. We brought mine home and I let my husband oil her and clean her up a bit. About a week later he told me I had to take her in to be checked out. He told me he knew I didn't want to let her out of my sight but she did need a check up to make sure she was healthy.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinjennie
I agree with the post about Glenn Williams. I live in the same Tampa, Florida area as Glenn, and he is a very nice man and is very knowledgeable of not only the Featherweight, but other vintage Singer sewing machines. He has serviced my own Featherweight in his "workshop" garage. Wow! What a wonderful workshop! To me, it looked like a vintage Singer "hospital" for ailing machines :) Jennie :P
I'm originally from Tampa. Family still in FL. Maybe next time we go I need to see if I can go visit his shop. Sounds great.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 PM

I had mine serviced in St. John's Newfoundland because after years of service the bobbin tension just wasn't right no matter what I did to it. It was 2 years ago and has been running like a top ever since. Oh and the cost was $75.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:22 AM

I had mine serviced and cleaned for $65, they put on a new foot cord and I was all set. If your service person doesn't have what you need, Billy will be able to help with things you need, he is on the Vintage site here.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:40 PM

When I bought my first one, a very dear friend showed me how to oil and grease everything. If it is working, get a manual and you should be able to do it yourself. It is very simple and the instructions are in the manual with pictures. I was insecure so she sat with me and we just went step by step. I do my own cleaning oiling and greasing. It is very simple. If you have any questions, there is a site for vintage sewing machines and they have lots of people who will help you. Save the $75 for fabric.