Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by luce321
BKinCO,

I hope this is not a stupid question but why is your machine referred to as a "redeye?" I am new at all this.
It is nicknamed either 'red eye' or 'red head' because of it's red decals.

Here is a picture of one of mine:

Singer Red Eye
[ATTACH=CONFIG]186722[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-186716.jpe
Views:	77
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	186722  
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Banned

Well kids looks like I will be out of the shop for a while. We had one hell of a storm and there is damage all over the neighborhood including my house. My neighbor and I are going to whip out the chainsaws and surgically remove a tree from his home and cut a lot of limbs up in my yard.

My Studio took a hit last night but I dont think anything was hurt on the inside. But to go inside and to look I have to cut limbs out of the way. But I do not see any holes in the side or the roof of the studio so I think I should be good to go! The carport on it will need to be replaced I know that. But I am doing an edition to it right now anyway so it was going to come down anyhow.

Billy
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

I've got a 301a foot controller question or two. Recently acquired a 301a shortbed with the old bakelite foot controller which is driving me crazy. Don't know if this is operator error or what, since I'm new to this type of foot controller.

When depressing on the button on the left of the foot controller, my machine usually hesitates before starting to sew - from a slight hesitation to I need to use the hand wheel to start her. I know this is not normal from what I've read, that being that she should just take off running, no hesitation or hand wheel assistance required.

Also, the foot controller button seems kinda 'sticky', in that it takes more pressure from my foot to depress, and even that varies when using. Often, she'll just start racing and nearly eats my fingers off if I'm not careful. So, getting any speed control is difficult at best.
I was having problems with my button foot controller for my "new" FW, the other day. I took the cover off and then I sprayed a little Tri-Flow lubricant onto a Q-tip and rubbed it on the moving parts of the inside of the foot controller. When you take the cover off you will see the part that is depressed whenever you step on the button of the controller. Press it and see how sticky it is (please unplug your controller before doing this :shock: ). Rub the lubricant where ever you see the little hinges moving. I even used a toothpick dipped in the Tri-Flow to get a little bit of it into the hinge easier. Keep squeezing the "thingy" up and down to work the lubricant in there and VOILA!! it should operate nice and smoothly. Here is a link that shows you how to take it apart and put it back together again.
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/11/...r-control.aspx
Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well kids looks like I will be out of the shop for a while. We had one hell of a storm and there is damage all over the neighborhood including my house. My neighbor and I are going to whip out the chainsaws and surgically remove a tree from his home and cut a lot of limbs up in my yard.

My Studio took a hit last night but I dont think anything was hurt on the inside. But to go inside and to look I have to cut limbs out of the way. But I do not see any holes in the side or the roof of the studio so I think I should be good to go! The carport on it will need to be replaced I know that. But I am doing an edition to it right now anyway so it was going to come down anyhow.

Billy
Billy, Sorry to hear about your storm damage but happy you & family are safe & nothing was destroyed.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 AM

I'm sorry you guys have to deal with so much clean-up, Billy. Hope to see you around here again soon, and that your shop is OK on the inside.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 AM

That storm last night was a big un! Sorry to hear about the damage, but glad you have a plan. So many people are without resources when something like this happens! Glad you are feeling able to be up and to get er done!

Hope everyhting in the shop is okay and there are no more of these dern storms. Praying that the fires in Texas can be brought under control as well. The rain needs to go there!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 AM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
OK Vintage When you do the winding while holding the needle still it seems to break them loose so they will work from then on like they are suppose to work with the needle quiet while the bobbin is being wound. Hope this helps.

Nancy

PS several of you mentioned this problem. This is the way I fix the problem. It has worked so far on every machine I have had the same problem with - that the needle keeps going up and down even after you loosen the clutch to wind the bobbin.
Yes, and it worked for me last night!!! Thanks, Nancy!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:56 AM

Billy
Sorry to hear about the damage in your area. Hope you are feeling well enough to be out chain sawing limbs etc. We will have to tell mother nature to leave your buildings and your machines alone don't want anything happening to those cars or machines or you for that matter.

Take Care

Suzy
Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 AM

[quote=merry]
Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Billy I am so sooy to hear about the damage that was done. Please know that I am praising the Lord that you and your family are okay. Kathie
Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
[

Hey Glenn, my 301 bobbin winder is practically stuck tight, barely turning at all. How can I take it apart to clean it? Thanks.
Billy can answer this better than I can. I have take the winder off the machine and soaked it in kerosen to loosen it up and then oiled it good. Some times the center screw on the large wheel gets to tight. Glenn[/quote]

Last night I looked real close, and it actually has an oil hole. I filled it up and started just working it back and forth, and lo and behold, it started turning real easy!! I also took the bobbin assembly apart, and removed the needle plate and feed dogs, and oiled down around the bobbin area really well. I turned the handwheel several times, cleaned up the extra oil, and replaced the bobbin carrier and all the other parts. When I tried her out, she sewed about 100% better!! I think she had probably sat for a long time and her joints just needed lubricating! :-)