Thiefs at Jo-Ann's

Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Me too. My worst one is getting to the car and finding my watermelon on the lower tray of the shopping cart. Back in I go to pay for it, I guess I get my laps in that way.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 AM

It's good know there are still honest people out there, willing to do the right thing. Way to go!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Unfortunately, Jo-Anns doesn't prosecute shoplifters.

I was managing a Husqvarna store inside Jo-Ann's one night when a police office brought over two young adults who had been caught shop-lifing at Target across the street. When they responded to the call at Target, they discovered a LOT of items from the beading department at Jo-Ann's.

The Manager, in front of the two thiefs, said Jo-Anns doesn't prosecute shoplifters. I asked the manager about this later and she said it wasn't worth the legal fees because shoplifters tended to file suit against Jo-Anns for having them arrested?? So strange!

We used to get gypsies in the store. They always wore loose clothing and would spread out in several directions. They they would start 'whistling' signals back and forth to each other to let each other know when the coast was clear to STEAL. So the two managers would walk through the store a quadrant at a time and be constantly 'popping up' from different areas so they wouldn't be acused of 'profiling'.

Yes, we pay for it all!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Good for you ...Life is expensive enough with out having to pay for theives
Old 04-20-2011, 10:25 AM

I worked at Joanns and witnessed a woman walk out with a whole bolt of 54" Home Dec fabric. I did the same thing, went outside and got her license plate number. Joanns did absolutely NOTHING!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Good Job. YOu did the right thing.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 AM

I used to work part-time at Joann's and at this particular store we had several ladies taking a lot of our jewelry-making items as well as scrap-booking stuff. They would'nt just take one or two items but every single one. Not only did they take from our store but from all of the stores in the area. What were they doing with all the stuff. They had started an at-home business selling these items to neighbors, friend, etc. They were eventually caught and had to do some jail-time for their crime.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Good job...hopefully they catch em.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I was in Hancocks Fabric at in Dec. waiting at the register when a young woman walked in, went straight to the sewing machine display, picked up a sewing machine and walked right out the store. The manager seemed to be right behind her and shouted I saw you, bring that back, I'm calling the police. The two other employees were older women, so no one was hurrying trying to save the day. The young woman stopped turned around and said go ahead call the police and got into a waiting car and it drove off. It all happened in a few seconds but it seemed like a long time. Now the machines are locked in place on the display.
There are usually no men in fabric/craft stores to instill any thoughts of being stopped by force to the thief. Most middle age to older women employees are not considered a threat to worry about.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM

Good for you! And you are right, we all pay higher prices to make up for "losses" like that!