Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
What mine are doing is that I can initially loosen the clutch, start winding the bobbin, and then the clutch tightens itself back up, of course then engaging the needle & it starts going up & down.
If you are still having this problem AFTER the shaft has been thoroughly cleaned and well oiled, try turning the clutch washer to the next notch. Usually, that is the issue. It's sort of a pain, as you have to take the clutch knob and washer off each time, but once you get it in the right slot, it usually works.

Take a look at # 14 here:

http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...ance_wheel.pdf

As always, if someone has already pointed this out, I apologize.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by denise d
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Denise, so sorry about your little helper! My 3 year old (back in 1975) saw how much I loved my, then, brand new Bernina sewing machine. So, in order to be helpful, he took a rag and a spray bottle of water to shine it up. I about had a cow when I discovered what his little helping hands were doing. I didn't yell at him, however, because I could see he really was trying to help Mommy. And, he still loves sewing machines to this day. Whew... glad I could hold my tongue.

Sorry about your machine troubles. I know someone is going to be able to help you in this shop. :-D
Thanks... I did not yell. What is a girl to do?! I am guessing that someone will be able to help, otherwise I can just find a repair shop.

The most disappointing thing about this, is I was hoping to get her up and running by myself....:)

Also, go to the tutorials section and Lostn51 - Billy - posted tutorials on cleaning/repairing vintage machines. He had a few pictures in it that may be of help! There are at least 3 tutes that I know of.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by luce321
I have been posting for sometime now and have asked several questions, but never got a reply. I must be doing something wrong. Just posted one to Billy two days ago.
luce321 just ask again, I have had to do this several times when I didn't get an answer. Seems the pages are just added so fast it sometimes gets hard to read everything.
Also, Billy hasn't really been in here much lately because he has been sick. And now he has storm damage to clean up.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well kids looks like I will be out of the shop for a while. We had one hell of a storm and there is damage all over the neighborhood including my house. My neighbor and I are going to whip out the chainsaws and surgically remove a tree from his home and cut a lot of limbs up in my yard.

Billy
Wow--good luck. We'll play nice while you're gone.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Okay,Nancy or Kathie, which one of you picked up the 201 that was on CLs in Sacramento this past weekend? I thought by now one of you would be posting your wonderful find. I think the machine was under $90, can't remember the price. And I couldn't tell if it was a 201-2 or one that could be used in treadle from the photo, but it almost looked like one for treadle. Which is why I'm asking, because I'm curious to find out if it could be used in a treadle.
It was not me. I do not know about Nancy, she did not mentioned it . Who ever it was I hope that they enjoy it. Kathie
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9

Also, go to the tutorials section and Lostn51 - Billy - posted tutorials on cleaning/repairing vintage machines. He had a few pictures in it that may be of help! There are at least 3 tutes that I know of.
Thanks Julie, you are right.

:-D
Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Okay,Nancy or Kathie, which one of you picked up the 201 that was on CLs in Sacramento this past weekend? I thought by now one of you would be posting your wonderful find. I think the machine was under $90, can't remember the price. And I couldn't tell if it was a 201-2 or one that could be used in treadle from the photo, but it almost looked like one for treadle. Which is why I'm asking, because I'm curious to find out if it could be used in a treadle.
It was not me. I do not know about Nancy, she did not mentioned it . Who ever it was I hope that they enjoy it. Kathie
Sorry to hear that it may not be either of you. I noticed yesterday that there is a 201-2 on the CLs in Modesto for $70. If anyone is looking for one, it is in a green cabinet.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Denise, Someone will help you I am sure by this evening. I know how disappointing it must be. What machine do you have? Most of these vintage machines have online FREE manuals. A lot of my manuals have a list of all the parts in picture form.

Have you looked... hold on, I will be right back.

Here: look on this

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013

If there is a title concerning the model of machine you have, you could open it and reply with your need for help. That might get you a quicker answer. Let me know if you don't find what you need. You can PM if you want. :-D
I have a Singer 66 Red Eye the year it was allotted was 1911.

I did look at Billy's tutorials, but I am not seeing what I need. Thanks everyone for the help. :D
Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by denise d
I know a lot of folks have taken apart their machines. I have a bit of a quandary...

I took my machine apart and soaked it. Unfortunately my 5 yr old was playing with the camera. Yes, you see where this is going.

He deleted the photos I took. ARGH!!!

Needless to say, I have a million pieces in a bag and no blasted clue where to begin.

Does anyone have photos of their process or a link to a manual or schematic that I can follow? Thanks for the help.
What kind of sewing machine did you take apart? If one of us has the same one we can help to reconstruct.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by denise
I have a Singer 66 Red Eye the year it was allotted was 1911.

I did look at Billy's tutorials, but I am not seeing what I need. Thanks everyone for the help. :D
Ouch! I have the exact same machine. I gave it to my DIL and she lives about 6 hour drive away. I know for sure others have that same machine. Let me contact one of my friends and I will get back.

Singer Red Eye owners: HELP! :-D