Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone know about sheep? >

Does anyone know about sheep?

Does anyone know about sheep?

Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I'm allergic to the lanolin so they are not my favorite wooly beast. Besides, I told DH that we will NOT have sheep in the field! I would be too jealous. Every time we get around sheep, they bat their little sheep eyes at him and call him by his name: Pa-a-a-a-t.
lol

Good luck
Old 04-18-2011, 03:51 PM

Shannon, what a wonderful opportunity for your son! I worked in 4-H Youth Development for quite a few years and the sheep project was a hoot! Each state has a cooperative extension where you can access information regarding 4-H and livestock projects. Here is an example, follow the link. Once you scroll down to the bottom you will see the
(http://www.tvsp.org/picklamb.html)
files that are relevant to breeding projects. Have fun!
Tulip
Old 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM

Both of my older girls were in 4-H and raised Suffolks. I loved those sheep. But that was about 25 years ago. I do remember that they had to work with them constantly to prepare them for showing. And, yes, good fences. We came home from shopping one evening and found one of the sheep drinking out of the dog bowl in our KITCHEN. Best of luck to you. It will be a wonderful experience.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:35 PM

If you are going to be showing, introduce your sheep to halter and lead line. It will make your work much easier. My 2 are wool sheep and the only time they are on lead lines and halters is when I need to shear them. Once their halter and line are on them, they stand still or follow the line like a dog heels for their owner. Also helps get them home when the fence fails. Ask me how I know this one:-)
Old 04-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Suffolk sheep are basically from England & from this Aussie lone quilter who had the same sheep - here goes tips....you will need to know how to shear, how to "top, tail & crutch" & that part needs to be done no matter what - as there ain't nothing worse than a "fly blown" sheep....flies get up through the back passage of the sheep & then it has to be "lights out" by a vet - & you will need to do "drenching"...thats where you put the nozzle in sheep's mouth & the various formulas for various disease's must be done....& I do hope you realize that its a lot of work....sheep are stubborn...but they can be very warm hearted & please don't neglect their hooves - ears & eyes, okays have fun...do you know how to shear at all though??

moggie lone quilter in Australia
Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Daughters showed sheep. Big thing for us was work out for the sheep. They where walked everyday and run and jumped for at least and hour. Are the sheep fed all together or are they separated. If you want pm me my girls showed 4H and FFA
Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
All I know about sheep is Lil BoPeep lost hers! :oops:
The only thing I know is how to count them. LOL

I hope your son does well with this 4-H project
Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM

I borrowed a flock of sheep when I lived on a acreage. We had a weed problem - a ditch WEED problem, if you know what I mean. Inside of a week, the 8' tall WEED was all mowed down to the ground. I had very happy sheep and they never went looking for greener grass. LOL!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 AM

Hopefuly, your 4-H club will assign a Junior Leader for your son. This is an older 4-H member experienced with the project (in this case, a lamb) and able to teach younger members what they need to know. For the first year, I would expect this Jr. Leader to visit at least once a week with your son. This can be a phone call, or a meeting at the barn, leaning over the fence looking and talking about the animal. Expect this Jr. leader to work with your son to train the lamb, also.

In addition to all the tips already mentioned; make sure you attend ALL the meetings. There will be a wealth of information provided. Sometimes, there's so much that the younger members can't remember/understand all of it. It's less confusing if you or your husband attend with him so two of you are getting the needed information.

Good luck! 4-H is a wonderful organization.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 PM

hey there. just sent you a pm. ;) much sheep help in my family for you.