Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms? >

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Okay, this is going to sound very unpopular but just hear me out. LOL

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!

Instead, you need to be calm and confident. Lead by example - project the idea that there is nothing to fear, and that you are in control of the situation. You aren't going to let anything bad happen to him, but you can't tell him that with words or petting - instead, let your body language and energy tell him that.

As tough as it is, you have to ignore the behavior you don't want. In this case, I would put him in a sit or down position next to you, silently project your calm confidence and read a book or sew something. As long as he is sitting where you asked him to be, ignore him until he calms down - THEN you can praise him, thereby reinforcing the relaxed behavior.

No drugs, no feeling sorry for him. Instead help him face his fears and get over them. It isn't easy and it won't be instant, but I promise it's well worth the effort!
This is what my vet says to do, and what I have done for 12 years, UGH she makes me crazy , esp here lately when it has stormed everyday.I/we have never babied her . I sometimes just shut her in a room . I even have hooked her up outside to desensitise her. I think she just likes to pace, shake and make me crazy.lol ( she does the same thing if she even sees a gun,some hound she is lol.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 PM

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!

Instead, you need to be calm and confident. Lead by example - project the idea that there is nothing to fear, and that you are in control of the situation. You aren't going to let anything bad happen to him, but you can't tell him that with words or petting - instead, let your body language and energy tell him that.

As tough as it is, you have to ignore the behavior you don't want. In this case, I would put him in a sit or down position next to you, silently project your calm confidence and read a book or sew something. As long as he is sitting where you asked him to be, ignore him until he calms down - THEN you can praise him, thereby reinforcing the relaxed behavior.

No drugs, no feeling sorry for him. Instead help him face his fears and get over them. It isn't easy and it won't be instant, but I promise it's well worth the effort!
Totally agree with you - I had a border collie some time ago and used this technique with her and it did work - was difficult to do because she was so scared, although she never completely got over it she was definitely alot calmer she had the same problem with fireworks as well and I did the same then just remember each time you praise a dog you are reinforcing whatever the behaviour is
Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 PM

[quote=JulieR]
Originally Posted by rushdoggie
In my experience with rescues, anyway. For years I nurtured the anxiety and never understood why that didn't work. Now, I get it.
Well, like article says, it won't help, but its not gonna hurt either.

This is just a personal pet peeve of mine. I have spent 20 years training dogs: mine, foster dogs, other people's dogs and I keep hearing how by petting your scared dog you will reinforce the fear, and that drives me nuts because its just not true.

You are absolutely right that if you freak out with the dog you will possibly make it worse, because the dog can cue off of you that there is something wrong. But you are not going to make it worse if you pet your dog or reassure him.

You can't verbalize and reason with a dog. But you can show him with your calm confidence that you are in control of the situation and THIS is not a time where fear and worry are necessary, or healthy.
And you can show him with calm kindness that he can come to you for comfort.

However, it sounds like your dog's anxiety was WAY off the charts, and medication in cases like that can be lifesaving. For any extreme anxiety a trip to the vet is in order, just to rule out anything that might stand in the way of homegrown measures.
True. She was a legend, lol. And you are right in that a new onset of fearful behavior should incur an immediate trip to the vet.

But since I had such good results using meds and behavior modification, after years of both of us suffering and her behavior getting worse, I believe early intervention is helpful. I started right away with a different dog who was terrified of fireworks, and he improved quite a lot. There's no reason for your dog to suffer when the meds are easily available and inexpensive.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 PM

My shih tzu, Mickey, always slept with me at the foot of the bed. It takes a lot to wake me up & I rarely heard storms, but Mickey woke me up by sitting on my head :D It was if he couldn't get close enough to me.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Power Poster

Ditto this. I have heard this also. Also heard that if you rub a dog with a fabric softerner sheet before it storms, that may help. Something about electricity going through the hair upsets the dog than anything!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 AM

I rescued a Short haired pointer from the Humane Society for my kids. So I half expected some problems but not the Thunderstorm one. We tried everything. The only thing that worked for us was to sit on her, literally, as she tried to get out windows etc. So my sons and I took turns no matter what the time of night. We'd get her laid down beside the sofa and wedge her there with our legs while we watched whatever was on TV in the dead of night.
She was caught outside once while we were all away from the house and we recovered her 20 miles from us. Drugs did nothing. But we still loved her dearly.
MK
Old 04-21-2011, 03:40 AM

We bought a Thundershirt for our sheltie that was terrified of storms. I didn't think it would work, but as soon as we put it on her, she calms down enough to go to sleep.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:49 AM

I gather my dogs and let them lay as close to me as possible then I rub their tummies and talk soothingly to them until the storm is over or until they fall asleep.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear

Last night here in central Indiana we had some bad storms and my new shih tzu dog, Sophie, was scared to death and paced the family room floor. She is 5 years old and I just rescued her on April 11th.
Wipe her down with a dryer sheet. It takes the electricity from her fur.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:06 AM

I have to agree with julieR. I am hearing impaired and I generally do not react to thunder because for me it is like a rumble that I wonder if it is thunder. And since I do not react at all, neither does my dog.
Rita