Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
save or give? Baby quilt for coworker >

save or give? Baby quilt for coworker

save or give? Baby quilt for coworker

Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 PM

My quilting buddy and I made a quilit for a co-worker's baby shower. It was wonderfully received and was a lot of fun to make and give. That lady was having baby #4 - a girl - with her other three being boys ages 24, 20, and 8.

Okay - so now another co-worker is pregnant with her first - the shower is May 3. As soon as we learned of the pregnancy my friend and I planned to do the same - make a quilt together for this mom-to-be. I finished quilting it last weekend and gave it to my friend to bind. WELL... Monday we got the official invitation saying this is a DIAPER shower! We usually have these for people having child #2, 3, 4 .... not for a first. But she must be having multiple showers and has chosen to limit the "stuff". I have no problem with that.

So .. save this quilt for the next one? (Put something in the water at work so the next one is also a girl? :) )

Give it anyway? Would this seem ... like showing off? Would it not get much use if she's really being showered with more blessings that she can use?

We have a third partner - we three are awesome buddies - who takes our quilting scraps and makes a bib and two burp cloths to match the quilt. So it's a wonderful package gift....

It's just funny that as we've made this we've thought of it as HER quilt and it's hard to let go of that identity in our minds.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

Can you save it and give it to her when the baby is born ?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 PM

How funny ... didn't even think of that! I don't usually give another gift after a shower gift - unless it's family or very close friend, but ... that's an idea. (Could go visit - snoop around and count the quilts!) :P
Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 PM

If I had made a baby quilt, I would give it regardless of what kind of shower it is. Every baby needs a special quilt! I think most mothers would love having it for their baby too.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 PM

Use it as wrapping paper for a couple of packages of diapers. She'll love it and regret being so specific in gift designations. These young people nowadays don't realize a gift is a gift..... not the result of an order!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
If I had made a baby quilt, I would give it regardless of what kind of shower it is. Every baby needs a special quilt! I think most mothers would love having it for their baby too.
I agree!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

I love the idea of wrapping the diapers in the quilt.
A diaper shower??? Never heard of that one! lol
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM

We use the diaper shower quite a bit. I work in an elementary school - lots of young mamas there. For a second baby it's traditional around here to NOT have a shower. But that just doesn't feel right! When we want to acknowledge the little one without making a big deal we do a diaper shower. Or if it's one of our men we know there will be a shower where the mom works and/or at church. To gift them easily without overwhelming them with Size 0 - 3 month clothes we do a diaper shower. Everyone brings a package of diapers (the mom-to-be is asked which brand is preferred) or wipes or lotions, etc. Budreaux's Butt Paste is a favorite gift at such things. It's great for diaper rash. It's an unwritten rule to aim at larger sizes. THere will also be gift cards for Wal-mart or the grocery store. The honoree can take back whatever she has too much of and get things to fill in the gaps.

You get to gift the family without it being a big deal. Just enough to say "welcome!" That's why showing up with such a bigger gift may not be right.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by katier825
DITTO!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:55 PM

Went to a baby shower earlier this year and the invite requested diapers...my gift...a quilt! It's always nice to know what the mother-to-be would like, but a quilt is something from the heart. A quilt will be something the baby can take with them through out their life...not diapers! Yuk ... just think ... dirty!
So, guess I'm saying ... give the quilt. :thumbup: