Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this bother anyone else or is it just me >

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me

Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 AM

The beauty of buying kits is the fabric selection. I live in an area where fabric selection is poor and to spend hours and hours picking out fabrics online just isn't feasible as too many of them are not accurate in color. That is why I have a stash.

I have bought only 1 kit and it was done solely for the array of fabric. They did a much better job of color selection than I ever could. I had plenty of fabric to accommodate my mistakes. Yes, I paid way more for the kit than I would have for the fabric, but I also saved myself hours and hours of stress time in trying to select fabric. To me, it was a win-win.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Banned

A quick search on "Island Chain Quilt pattern" on the web came up the following - it is a little cheaper & looks like for everything.

http://store.quiltersqtrs.com/stores...&Item_ID=18748

You might try a search on Ebay, Amazon & just in general.

Happy hunting =

Have a blessed Easter -
He Is Risen!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:15 AM

Try looking at the local library, they may have the book. I get a lot of my quilting books through EdwardRHamilton.com. These books are discounted (sometimes even more than Amazon.com) and they only charge $3.50 shipping no matter how many books you order.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by denilynne
The pattern is called Island Chain, and the book is Scrap-Basket Sensations by Kim Brackett. I found it cheaper at Acebooks online, but still don't know if i want it that bad. I'm not complaining just wondering why they wouldn't include the pattern. I don't know if i could figure out the pattern myself i'm still kinda new at this, not as knowledgable as some of you wonderful quilters, but i'm learning. This pattern is for a 53x64 quilt in batiks. doesn't say how much fabric that is
Amazon has the book starting at about $15:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...kett&x=14&y=16
Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 AM
Banned

The pattern is called Island Chain, and the book is Scrap-Basket Sensations by Kim Brackett. I found it cheaper at Acebooks online, but still don't know if i want it that bad. I'm not complaining just wondering why they wouldn't include the pattern. I don't know if i could figure out the pattern myself i'm still kinda new at this, not as knowledgable as some of you wonderful quilters, but i'm learning. This pattern is for a 53x64 quilt in batiks. doesn't say how much fabric that is
it is also on ebay starting at about 12:
http://books.shop.ebay.com/Books-/26...&_sop=15&_sc=1
Old 04-24-2011, 04:30 AM

I am also bothered by this. For the prices they ask for some of these quilt kits they should include directions, patterns and a tutorial DVD. I guess I am just an old fogey that expects things to be like they were when I was growing up. Jeanniebelle
Old 04-24-2011, 04:44 AM

Forget it~Most places include the pattern with the kit.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:45 AM

ok here is what you can do.
Google Island chain quilt pattern.. you will find several sites that will direct you to the Irish chain quilt pattern that you can get for free. try this one
http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/trip-...ilt/index.html
annie in the uk
Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 AM

I found a quilt kit i want to buy it's $75.00 but it does not include the pattern, i have to spend another $25.00 to buy a book that has the pattern. Why don't they include the pattern with the kit, i don't understand.
That is ridiculous!! A "kit" should include everything! I wouldn't give them my business. Find the kit elsewhere from a company that will include the pattern, or perhaps put a request out, one of us may have the pattern.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by psandberg
If you know the name of the book, try your local library. They may have the book in their collection. If not, they may be able to borrow it from another library for free or a nominal shipping cost.
Great idea, I reviewed the book on line and looks great however I do save my scraps and would not need a kit for most of the patterns, haha. Rarely buy kits like the choosing fabrics piece of quilting.