Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt in a travel trailer? >

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 AM

Only suggestion I have is when you put your kits together in zip lock bags...make sure you squeeze all the air out. You w/b able to make more kits..store more kits. Keep us posted on this journey.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 AM

We lived in our RV for about 6 moths while our home was being built. What I did was up front where the passenger seat is. My husband built me small table that would sit on the dash then had legs on the other side for the floor. That is where my sewing machine was. Sometimes I would even put it on the kitchen table. As for stash, we also had a Pole Barn built at the time so my stash was in there in plastic containers.

Verna2197
Old 04-24-2011, 05:22 AM

I lived in 5th wheel for 13 months. No teenagers but 2 large dogs. We did not eat at the table, it held computer and sewing machine. I had a store of fabric in my closet and some under the bed. I also lived close to my storage unit and kept my stash in reach at all times.
Glad now that I have a house again. We are in our retirement home now, though not retired yet. There will be no more moving for us.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:31 AM

We spend our warmer months living in our RV in Maine and I take my sewing machine and goodies with me. Most campgrounds have large picnic tables where I do my cutting and sometimes will set up the sewing machine outside. Generally tho I sew inside on a small collapsable table I found at BJ's. I have a small padded ironing table on the stove/kitchen area. My plastic totes are full of items and I slide them under the side of the coach. Mind you I work for Lobster most days. Have made a couple of award winning quilts also.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 AM

All I can say is Good Luck!! I usually work on making yoyo's for a quilt I am working on. That way you can buy or bring the right size fabrics.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:20 AM

I agree with the idea of having kits ready to go!! Also, will there be any LQS's in your area? Maybe to protect your sanity while in such a tight space with so many other warm bodies, you could try to go and sew somewhere else! Like in the back room of a LQS...
Old 04-24-2011, 06:31 AM

My home is my 37' motorhome where I live with my husband. We are retired and enjoying the good life. We currently are based in Aransas Pass TX. I never quilted when I had a house, started just 2 years ago. My sewing machine in it's bag sits behind the drivers seat where I can get to it easily. I do my cutting and sewing on dining table. My pressing on stove cover. My current project is kept in a basket under my chair. Tools are in a smaller basket in this basket. My stash is in plastic containers under the bed and in a cupboard. It's compact, it works. Just have to quit buying material as areas are full. I would prefer not to move machine when working on a project every time we eat or I use laptop, but I do it. If you really want to quilt you can find a way. I do agree you are more challenged with kids and animals along.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 AM

Well, I am impressed with the determination of so many of you! I have never quilted on vacation, but then we have had a Lance truck camper for 35 yrs which has room for only the barest necessities. We are usually traveling for extended periods of time (we travel like gypsies.. one night here and one night there) and I am always totally focused on camping, traveling, routing, etc, so I never gave quilting a thought. But age has changed our ability to camp in the truck camper. We now have a 31ft fifth wheel and I hardly know what to do with all the space! I have so many drawers and cabinets that are empty and that huge closet! DH takes half his tool chests for the basement area, or so it seems, so I guess why not take some quilting?!

I love all these ideas. :thumbup:
Melody
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Well I have to add to this. Being able to sew while "camping" is like dying and going to heaven for me. We traded our tent trailer last year for a travel trailer and my DH surprised me with a travel machine for the trailer.
I don't take my serger anymore. This was the 1st time and I brought it basically because I could but, I have gotten into quilting alot more now so I would take just Goldie. Oh I take my lap top so I can look for quilt shops too LOL

$20.00 folding table fits behind couch when not being used
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188371[/ATTACH]

My Janome Gem that DH got me. Her name is Goldie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188375[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-188363.jpe
Views:	372
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	188369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-188365.jpe
Views:	99
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	188371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-188369.jpe
Views:	85
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	188375  
Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 AM

I have a 21 foot 5th wheel (22 yrs old) and 2 cats and DH. I pre-cut my fabrics to make a dresden plate quilt and hand stitched it together. I also cut out 1" or so squares and handstitched those to make 9 patch squares. You can make lots of mini-wall hangings, too. Also -- if you're desperate...go to the LQSs in the area and ask if you can cut your fabric there....some have classrooms that they'll let you use if they aren't having classes.