Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this bother anyone else or is it just me >

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me

Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 AM

I would pass!! Run fast! This is not the way to run a business.

Kits for me don't work as their color coordination don't match mine.

So, I buy a pattern I like and choose my own fabrics.

Yes, it is a way to make more money. however, in the long run, I believe they loose customers.

Pat in CO
Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Again, I really like the pattern but the colors in the kit are not for me.

I would get the pattern and skip the kit.

You are right about shops - "red the fine print" - if I have to do that I am NOT shopping there. We should not have to deal with legalize to quilt!

Pat in CO
Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 AM

It's not a pattern by itself it's in a book. They want you to buy the book. That's why they don't include it. Check out Sister's choice quilts Jan 27-11. Kim sent her a copy of the book and she has a pic of it on her website. It looks like it uses a jellyroll and there are 40-2.5 strips to it so that doesn't even include the borders for the quilt I would maybe buy the book if there' more then one quilt in it that I liked and cut my own strips seems like a lot of money for even bali strips. She also has tutorials on there herself....
Old 04-24-2011, 07:46 AM

I bought a kit because I liked the fabric and the quilt that they displayed. Shop hop purchase, so it was a while before I actually really looked at it. The pattern showed a different picture different fabric, so needless to say I did it from memory and I know it did not look at nice as the one I saw apparently I used a different section to show off the houses. If you get what I mean. sorta !!!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 AM

I think it would be more beneficial to list the price of a kit INCLUDING a pattern... and then provide a 'discounted' price for a no-pattern kit for those who may already own one. The other way just seems kind of sneaky to me, even it it's not meant to be that way.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:02 AM

I don't know if this is the same "Island Chain", but worth checking out. It doesn't state that the pattern is included, but you could call them. Good luck! http://store.quiltersqtrs.com/stores...&Item_ID=18748
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 AM

if they want my $75 it better already be quilted Look for the pattern on line-library- mags then choose fabrics-batting this is way less than $100
Old 04-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

sometimes people fall in love with quilts in books and want a kit for them- once you buy the book you do not want to re-buy the book every time you are going to make a quilt from that book- what if it had 60 quilts in it? you might want to buy 60 fabric kits- but 60 copies of the same book- because you want it included in every kit?

usually if the pattern is just that- 1 pattern it is included with kits- if it is a pattern from a book or a magazine you have to purchase it separately.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:57 AM

Bothers me too!

TreeFrog
Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 AM

Just a couple of thoughts...

It may not be cheaper to buy your own fabrics (make your own kit) if the yardages are 1/4yd pcs and need to be WOF.
A lot of shops won't sell less than 1/2yd cuts so then you are buying twice as much as you need. Even if you can use FQs
some shops charge more for them.

I, and I'm only speaking for myself but I know danged well some of you can relate to this, have never purshased fabrics for a project that I didn't over buy. Usually because I have spent hours gathering fabrics from different shops (either in person or on-line) and once I got them together something didn't "work". Or I wasn't sure where I was going to use one fabric or another so I bought all 1yd or 1/2yd pcs just in case I wanted to change things around. Sometimes the kit price is not really all that inflated.

I have also bought kits that had wayyyy too much fabric. Never sure whether the shop or vendor was trying to make sure there was enough to cover for a mistake or just trying to get a lttle more money from me.

The book has several great quilts in it and if you can find it for sale you're getting more bang for your buck.

For a group of ladies always talking about "quilt police" I have to ask if there aren't a few undercover here but they are only concerned with what quilt shops and their owners can or cannot do. Show me where a kit is defined as fabric for the top and borders, fabric for the backing and binding, batting and the pattern. Oh, thread, maybe they "should" include thread. And just enough for this quilt, not a whole spool please. Nowhere, that's where. Those are preconceived ideas in your own worlds and not a "rule" or a "law". If you don't want to buy a kit because it doesn't have any of those elements that's fine, I respect that, but quit bashing the quiltshop owners. Times are rough for them too.

My guess is the same ladies that are horrified when Nancy Needleworker asks for a copy of their most recently purchased quilt pattern are put off because a shop owner won't copy a pattern out of a book to put in the kit.

And yes, >> would be one of those other unhappy customers if I had to pay for a kit that had a pattern or book included if I already had said pattern or book.

Now I will calmly descend from my soapbox and set off into the sunset.