Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt in a travel trailer? >

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 AM
j

I have cut out "spinning Wheels" for two quilts and will only sew on them while we are on the road. When I get home I'll put them together withthe batting and backing. While actually travelig, I wouldn't be sewing, just when we are parked. It would be to much of a problem to get it out each day. My cousin sews while her husband drives and she uses the generator to have the electricity. I dont think you can be in a 5th wheel whileyou are in actual motion. A MH is different. Good luck on your trip. -- J
Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 AM

We are fulltimers. We have a Montana fifth wheel with 4 slides. We have quite a bit of storage space but I have a lot of yarn and crochet thread as well as quilting supplies. I do pretty much what Shirley and Ida do. I sew on machine at dining table and hand quilt in my recliner. Our dining chairs have storage in the seat and that is where my rulers, cutters, etc. are stored. I iron and cut on dining table. I also use the picnic table that is on the patio (covered with sheet) to sandwich. You will find that there are lots of "little" spaces where you can put things.
Happy trails and quilting
Sue
Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 AM

I take my hand crank sewing machine and quilt while I'm camping all the time. No electric cord needed!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:50 AM

emsunfire.... Oh that does look nice! I could do that :mrgreen:

BTW, love your camper!
Melody
Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 AM

We just got back from a 3-month trip. I worked on a pattern that has a lot of embroidery. That was the best option. I got out the sewing machine a few times, but even with a small iron and ironing board, it seemed as if I had every available surface covered with something. I worked on small projects--blocks of the month, tablerunners, and lap quilts. I had a one-drawer bin on the floor of my closet for storage. You can do it, but it's a hassle. Hand work was the best option for me, and I got a lot done.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 AM

We started full-timing 2 years ago and I have had no problem with quilting in a motorhome. I was asked how I did this so I posted pictures and what worked for me in my blog: http://quiltincats.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html

Recently, we found a screen house with a floor. I have been using it quite a bit. My biggest problem - TIME! Setting up and breaking down. So I try to plan ahead the night before.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 AM

This question is perfect for me...my DH decided we need to "escape the cold" in NC and spend Dec, Jan, and Feb in FL in our 26' camper with the two dogs. I was excited to find this topic and all the ideas because I AM taking one of my sewing machines and some projects. Now I have a better idea about how to manage!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 AM

We spend alot of traveling in our motorhome and I take my sewing along. It is alot easier if you can do your cutting ahead of time and make kits. I sew on the dining room table and alot of the time we eat on the sofa on trays so I don't have to put my sewing away. :)

I too use one of the sewing/pressing mats and put it on one of those fold up tables that have the 3 different heights and have it next to the table. You don't have to get up to press, lol. One of my favorite blocks to make is the string block and I cut out the muslin foundation beforehand. Where there is a will, there is a way! Happy sewing and travels!!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by taciage
This question is perfect for me...my DH decided we need to "escape the cold" in NC and spend Dec, Jan, and Feb in FL in our 26' camper with the two dogs. I was excited to find this topic and all the ideas because I AM taking one of my sewing machines and some projects. Now I have a better idea about how to manage!
Our trailer is a 26' fortunatly the dining area is a slide out. It is just the 2 of us so I have plenty of storage however I agree it is much easier to have everything cut ahead of time.
Glad to know I'm not alone with sewing on vacaton

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 AM

I highly recommend the SewEZI www.seweziusa.com. We lived fulltime in a 30 ft travel trail and I used this fold up sewing table the whole time we traveled the USA. It fits right in a closet when not in use--has little wheels if you need to transport. It weighs only 23 lbs--has a large work surface 34X19. The sewing machine sits flush with the table top. The Fons and Porter May/June 11 issue has a picture of it on page 85.
We now live in a stick house and I'm still using it for my sewing machine table in our guest room. Hardly takes up any room and it is so cute! I recently bought the optional accessory tray and love it. So handy!
Wish I worked for the company I could make a bunch of money selling them. Ha!!!