Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips on making design board >

Tips on making design board

Tips on making design board

Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Foam insulation board. My hubby bought 2 sheets and cut the ends down to fit floor to ceiling. That's what I use to layer my quilts on. It works great!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 AM

Hi there! I dont have much rrom but i use a flannel backed tablecloth and use push pins to hang it from the wall in my basment. Works very well and of course was very inexpensive.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 AM

love this idea!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 AM

I made mine out of 3/8 inch pvc pipe, elbow joints and t-joints and I glued all the joints together except for 2 so that I can take it apart and "fold" it so taht I can take it with me if I need to. I used white flannel and put it around all edges. In all, it cost me less than $20 and it's more than sturdy.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 AM

In additional to a design wall (I use the hanging one from Fons and Porter at this time) I have a small portable one that I can carry back and forth from the cutting board to the sewing table. It is made from the foam board from Hobby Lobby and covered with flannel cloth, using painter's tape to secure. I cut it from rectangular to square. It is perfect for keeping block pieces straight. I have made a few to give to friends.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
That could work, I think. It comes 4'x8'. I just duck taped my batting on. I am sure flannel would work...or at least you would think it would. I bought a spray on adhesive to use but decided that would be too messy for me. The duck tape worked fine....though it might have been duct tape. :) In fact, that tape might work for sort of a hinge thing?
You said exactly what I was going to suggest! Use duct tape to hinge it. I love duct tape, especially now when it comes in pretty colors.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 AM

Dear Stephanie,

You might want to use a light gray or beige flannel rather than white. Easier on the eye.

mountainmammo
Old 04-24-2011, 12:57 PM

I'm another one who uses the flannel back of a cheap plastic table cloth. I usually attach it to the wall with blue painters' tape. Have never had a problem with it pulling off the wall, pulling off paint, or the blocks falling off.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by stitchy65
I made mine out of 3/8 inch pvc pipe, elbow joints and t-joints and I glued all the joints together except for 2 so that I can take it apart and "fold" it so taht I can take it with me if I need to. I used white flannel and put it around all edges. In all, it cost me less than $20 and it's more than sturdy.
Could you post a picture of yours if you have one available?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I made one out of one of those folding, cardboard cutting mats. I got it at Joann's. I stapled flannel to the side with the lines on it and I fold it up for storage when I'm not using it. It's not the prettiest thing, but it does the job.
My DH did the same for me using felt and he even made a skinny wood frame and stapled the Cardboard to it. He used 2 and in between each frame he put hinges so I can fold it in half and I put it behind the door. I just love mine!