Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt in a travel trailer? >

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Precut kits might work if you have the time. Sounds like a busy trip to me. We have a motorhome,traveled around for a while but never got any sewing done.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt
I highly recommend the SewEZI www.seweziusa.com. We lived fulltime in a 30 ft travel trail and I used this fold up sewing table the whole time we traveled the USA. It fits right in a closet when not in use--has little wheels if you need to transport. It weighs only 23 lbs--has a large work surface 34X19. The sewing machine sits flush with the table top. The Fons and Porter May/June 11 issue has a picture of it on page 85.
We now live in a stick house and I'm still using it for my sewing machine table in our guest room. Hardly takes up any room and it is so cute! I recently bought the optional accessory tray and love it. So handy!

ooooh! I like that! I'm going to get one of those! Thank you for posting the link.
Wish I worked for the company I could make a bunch of money selling them. Ha!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
3 months in a trailer with three teenagers, hubby and animals...they would have to commit me...Good luck with that...
I was thinking the same thing -stopping some where to get alterations on one of them x-tra long sleeved jackets-if-n ya know what I mean

:-P
Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 AM
MM

We've just returned from a 5 month cross-country odyssey in our 29' travel trailer. I knew we'd be staying in one place for two months, so I tried to estimate how much fabric/how many projects I could accomplish if I sewed 2 hours a day while we were there. Took way too much stuff as I didn't get in my 2 hours daily, but I quilted and finished 6 Downey Quilts for Kids, made a quilt for DGD, and a quilt top for DGS among other things.

I used the large tables in the RV park's clubhouse to cut out large pieces and to lay out, spray baste, and pin the quilt top/batting/backing together.

So that I wouldn't have to keep moving things on and off the dining table when it was time for meals, I purchased a folding tv tray-type table at Target for about $14. This particular table was recommended on one of the quilting/crafting boards-maybe this one :). I don't see it on Target's website, but I know it's still available as I just bought a second one in Nevada to use when we don't want to sit at the dinette to eat dinner. Set it up in front of the sofa when I wanted to sew and put my machine (baby Janome-model AQS 2009) on it. Stored table behind the sofa when I wasn't using it.

Took a small portable ironing board which was also stored behind the sofa. Used it outdoors on a larger folding table from Sam's Club (I think it's something like 2'x4'). If I was sewing and just needed a small area for pressing, I'd put a couple of layers of towels on the dining table and use it as an ironing board.

Took an 18x24 cutting mat and used it on the dining table for cutting small pieces. To keep the cutting mat flat, I stored it between the mattress and wooden platform.

I was telling a quilter in the park how much I missed my design wall and she suggested I make one with a swim noodle and a flannel-backed tablecloth. Pinned the tablecloth, flannel-side out, to the noodle and could either put it on the bed or hang it from cabinet handles using loops of string around the ends of the noodle and s-hooks. Great idea! I was able to lay out pieces on the flannel side and then roll up the tablecloth around the noodle and tuck it behind the sofa.

When we were on the road, the sewing machine rode on the back seat of the truck in its rolling case (from Joann's).

We found that this trailer did not have adequate storage-my fabrics were in zip-lock bags in Rubbermaid totes in the truck, and I had boxes of notions and completed blocks in plastic boxes in the trailer itself. Seemed like I was always moving something in order to work on my projects. Didn't help that I went to a quilt show in Corpus Christi and bought lots of magazines and fabric scraps :). So we've just traded for a 35' fifth-wheel with lots of closets and cabinets. This trip was to see what it would be like to live in a trailer for an extended period of time; we loved it and now plan to start full-timing in the fall. I know I'll always want to take more "stuff" than space and weight restrictions allow, but the additional space in the new trailer will be wonderful. I'm already thinking about how I'll organize my sewing/crafting stuff. Think I'll get a wicker chest to use in front of the sofa as a pseudo coffee-table and to hold current projects and sewing accessories.

I am lucky enough not to get carsick when sewing or reading while riding, so on driving days I made yo-yo's and crocheted afghans. I didn't try to drag out my machine on nights when we'd be moving on in the morning, but used those evenings to sew yo-yos together (cat), and to do hand-applique on a dinosaur quilt.

As others have suggested, I stored all fabric and kits in ziploc bags-especially the 2 gallon size (available at some grocery and dollar stores).

Working on projects in the clubhouse or outside on days when it wasn't too windy was a great icebreaker. Everyone had to come over to see what I was doing and ask about it.

Have a terrific trip!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 AM

I also live in a 5ht wheel att winter. I do as you as far as projects go. I often choose a theme like christmas to make the kits into. I bought a small fold up table at Wal Mart (Black), turn my dining chair sideways and use DR table to extras with machine on new table. It folds flat and i store it at the end of LR coach. I cut on my mat on the floor (and am thankful I can still do that lol)
Old 04-24-2011, 11:03 AM

I dream of the toy haulers for our winter living. We have a large 5th wheel now. The back room would be ALL mine.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:20 AM

I usually use the storage space under the dinette benches, perfect for holding FW, cutting mat/pressing board, rulers, travel bag of notions. I also use see-thru project bags to hold everything needed for each quilt. I cut on the dining table and press on the counter top. I visit quilt shops everywhere we go so I usually buy during our travels. I only assemble blocks and tops. Sandwiching waits until I return back home in time for Houston Intl. Quilt Festival.

Last year I took everything on our trip to Alaska, but didn't sew a thing. I didn't want to miss a minute of sightseeing, wildlife and all the friendly people we met along the way! Of course, I bought kits and fabric unique to the states and provinces we were in.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

I know I'd pack my sewing items I would need first and then pack the other items. I would never pack my sewing items last like what I wanted wasn't important.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:33 AM

I also live full time in my 35ft A Motorhome(2 slides),love all of your comments !! Learned some new tricks from all of you. I cut on my bed with a fold-up cutting board(cardboard) on it. Sew on a folding table at the drivers seat,when turned around facing back.Have my serger and brother QS9000(just got it and love it)Use my travel iron
board over the bathroom sink.Have done this for 11 yrs and still going strong..
Old 04-24-2011, 11:46 AM

Oooh. 3 months in such close quarters. I lived in a 35' 5th wheel with only myself and my husband for 8 years and it got close sometimes. But you can do it!!
I had my stash on my end of the closet. The closet spanned the 8" front portion of the 5th wheel and I had half of it. My husband put in wire shelves into the portion that the door didn't extend in and it held quite a bit. When we moved back into a "stick" house the fabric filled up my sewing room closet. My machine was also in that closet. (You can tell I didn't have any clothes, just jeans and t-shirts.) When I got ready to sew I put my machine on the dining room table. My cutting mat went on the kitchen counter that spanned the entire 8' width of the back of the trailer. I was also able to put my ironing pad and iron on that cabinet top. There was a window there so I could look out while I was cutting, ironing, etc.
Putting kits together sounds good. Have fun, we sure did. Traveled the entire USA, from Kodiak Island in Alaska to Nova Scocia Canada..Just think of your 3 months as an extended vacation. You will love it!