Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to quilt in a travel trailer? >

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

How to quilt in a travel trailer?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 PM

its just us to and a dog been living in a motor home for 5 years . i do my ironing on a little ironing board on the stove and i do my cutting on the sink .i sew in the booth and table i also paper piece on the table i only take one sewing machine with me and store cut out blocks and store in plastic cases i found in walmart . i have my own storage cabinet in motor home no husbands tools lol lol GOOD LUCK QUILTING FAN
Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 PM

We have been living for the past 5 years in our motor home. It is just the two of us, having lost both cats a year ago. It isn't easy, but it can be done. Camping World & WalMart have a folding table the size of a tv table and it has better stability. Ott lite is a must have. And again - bring what you think you can/will work on. Big cutting mats can be stored under the mattress. YOu can put towels on the table and do your pressing. Some of the campgrounds we stay in have a rec hall and you can use their tables for cutting and stretching. We took out a couch so I have a sewing cabinet that I picked up @Joann's with a 50% coupon. When the weather is good - sew outside. I have one cabinet underneath for storage (the rest are his) so you pack you think you can get done while you are gone. We are home (MA) from mid April to late Oct) then FLA for the winter. Our motor home is our home, but I do have a storage box that I use to hold what I refuse to give up (and my stash). I have a sign on our wall that says "SIMPLIFY". You need alot less than you think and you can quilt more than you know in a limited space. Good luck and happy travels!
Old 04-24-2011, 01:06 PM

I'm not sure what part of this other have already posted but my story is: I spent 3 months with 3 animals and two adults 1 child in our motor home between homes. We sold in Sussex Co. NJ and moved to Flemington, NJ but promised my sophmore daughter she could finish out the year. So, that being said. Make as many kits as you can with a travel iron and small machine and pressing board you should be in good shape. I had a screen tent that enclosed the picnic table and then some so that when weather permitted i could move things outside or just leave it inside set up and we would eat outside. My Best Wishes to you all. It was not an easy go especially when all three dogs wanted to poop at once in three different areas of the circle. Needless to say I took all three out one at a time hahah
Old 04-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltinCats
We started full-timing 2 years ago and I have had no problem with quilting in a motorhome. I was asked how I did this so I posted pictures and what worked for me in my blog: http://quiltincats.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html

Recently, we found a screen house with a floor. I have been using it quite a bit. My biggest problem - TIME! Setting up and breaking down. So I try to plan ahead the night before.
Congrats that is organized!!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:08 PM

My hubby and I travel and also work for OR. St. Parks system. We may be gone up to 2+ months at a time. I could NOT live with out my machine for that long! So....I always take my machine with me when we travel. We have a 35' triple slide 5th wheel. I converted the cabinet area in our bedroom for the TV to my 'sewing nook'. I put all my small plastic containers with my sewing paraphernalia in them, ziplocs with my pre-cut projects. small cutting mat, any books/patterns, machine accessories,My sewing light, my UPS Battery Back Up Surge Protector (never be in a campground w/o one if you have a computerized machine), all goes in this handy space. I am amazed at how much space there is!! I found a nice piece of embroidered suede that I stitched top and bottom casings into and insert a tension rod thru both casings. It goes across the opening for the TV and covers up all my sewing stash and looks nice too. It is so nice and tight it also holds everything in place during traveling. My plexi glass (Sew Steady Table), shape n press board for pressing and any larger items go in the under the bed storage area, just a gentle lift up and everything is quite accessible. My machine goes in the closet for traveling and storage purposes. I use the dining table which has an extension on it for sewing, I can also cut or trim on my table, stove top is for pressing.
I totally agree that sewing while I am traveling is like a little piece of heaven for me, very few interruptions! YES!! :thumbup:
I hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Originally Posted by carolaug
3 months in a trailer with three teenagers, hubby and animals...they would have to commit me...Good luck with that...
Pretty much what I was thinking. Maybe a good bar is in order. :wink: Don't forget the blender!
DITTO
Old 04-24-2011, 03:01 PM

We are snow birds with a house in both Maine & Fl. We have a toy hauler that we bought mainly for transporting my embroidery macnine but it is great for storage and all my quilting stuff. I buy my cloth in Maine ( price is better) and transport it south. We looked at different types of trailers but decided on the toy hauler, have had it a couple of years and am so glad we went with it. Like having a spare room. We use it for get aways and camping trips ans have plenty of room.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
Only suggestion I have is when you put your kits together in zip lock bags...make sure you squeeze all the air out. You w/b able to make more kits..store more kits. Keep us posted on this journey.
At first I misread this and thought it said "when you put your KIDS together in zip lock bags .... squeeze all the air out. You will be able to make more KIDS! Just what you need in a 5th wheel!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 03:49 PM

I have a portable table we store in the outside storage along with my machine in a roller bag and a bin of precut "kits". I use a table top iron board on the dining table. Works best when I make the blocks for quilts, but do the final assembling when I am at home and have a full size pressing board. I also make pillowcases when traveling
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-188572.jpe
Views:	295
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	188578  
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 PM

I can relate to your question and share from my experience. We lived in our travel trailer for 20 months - through two Canadian winters! It was an adventure at first but that first winter and the long endurance was too hard. And you are doing it with teenagers! Three months isn't long but it will test the character of each of you. Back to quilting. I tried quilting but it is too hard to top quilt on a small table. For me I felt claustrophobic even with only necessities. Maybe on a calm day, under the awning set up a table outside to spread out. Inside the trailer, I would stick to blocks. Just blocks. Easy to put away. I put my mat & rulers under the couch and only necessary supplies were under the bed storage. The TV shelf in the bedroom stored my machine. Keep it covered because with windows left open everything gets dusty. Good luck and I wish you the best!