Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how bad is bad? >

how bad is bad?

how bad is bad?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
Someone (maybe on this board?) once said, "If you can't see your mistakes while riding by on a galloping horse, they aren't mistakes!" I like that idea!!
I like that quote and have laughed at it many times while remembering it. I was trying to remember it when I read yours. Thanks for posting it.

Do you think the person who posted it here made it up herself? I'd like to make up a sign for my sewing room and give her credit. :)
I, too, would like to quote it giving credit where credit is due. I love it. May I embroider it for my wall citing the author?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:56 PM

FMQ just takes practice. We all have to start somewhere. Even after years of quilting, sometimes my FMQ is better some days than others. I gave myself permission years ago to try my best but more important to just have fun. Learn by your mistakes and move on and don't dwell on them.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ruthrec
Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
Someone (maybe on this board?) once said, "If you can't see your mistakes while riding by on a galloping horse, they aren't mistakes!" I like that idea!!
I like that quote and have laughed at it many times while remembering it. I was trying to remember it when I read yours. Thanks for posting it.

Do you think the person who posted it here made it up herself? I'd like to make up a sign for my sewing room and give her credit. :)
I, too, would like to quote it giving credit where credit is due. I love it. May I embroider it for my wall citing the author?
I wish I could give credit to the original author of that saying. Alas, my only involvement was to remember hearing it somewhere because it gave me such comfort!

Does anybody know who penned that saying? I bet if it was like most (not all, sadly) quilters she/he won't mind if people reproduce it. Guess you could say "author unknown" on the embroidery!
Old 04-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Galloping horse that's good.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Before I took over as co-chair of the "Comfort Quilt" program at my 220 member guild, we had a speaker from Americares talk about where our quilts go and how much they are loved. She said something that I will never forget. "Isn't wrapping a newborn in a quilt so much better than some newspaper?" I was hooked. Believe when I tell you your quilt will be loved, used and cherished by the receipient. Go for it!
Old 04-24-2011, 03:43 PM

I am also a beginner to FMQ. I have done 5 large quilts and notice that I am alittle better as I go along. But when I curl up in the first one, it keeps me warm and I don't notice all the mistakes I made. I just enjoy it!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:05 PM

My first quilt I made for my DGS when he was a year old. My FMQ was horrible and my points didn't all meet. He loved it to pieces and I mean pieces. It was his security blanket. If I had waited till I had a made a quilt with no mistakes my DGS would have never had that security quilt. I really felt so honored
Old 04-24-2011, 04:11 PM

I was told that charity quilts are the ones to experiment with. Yes you want it to look nice, but they appreciate what they get, so keep trying. Practice practice and more practice!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Keep it for yourself. Get busy with another one and watch how much better you will get. Then one day you will be really good......then you will enjoy your first quilt even more :D
Old 04-24-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bgullett
I was told that charity quilts are the ones to experiment with. Yes you want it to look nice, but they appreciate what they get, so keep trying. Practice practice and more practice!
This is true. I give out a lot of charity quilts and the people are far more concerned with the pattern (fabrics/colors) than the actual quilting. So, it is a GREAT place to practice.