Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what do you like/not like about where you live >

what do you like/not like about where you live

what do you like/not like about where you live

Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 PM

I was born in Memphis my dad was Navy so we lived from one coast to another. I moved to Texas in 69 then to Iceland then back to Texas in 72. It get's hotter every year and dryer.I lived in 15 different places. I don't plan to move again.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 PM

I have never lived anywhere but here so I can't compare.

The cost of living is very cheap. We nearly had to move when my husband lost his job so we've looked at houses in many places in the last two years and nothing compares to prices here.

Virtually no crime. Doors are seldom locked.

On the other hand....

The school district is broke. The high school has boards over broken windows they can't afford to fix.

It's 12 miles to Wal-mart and 45 miles to anything else.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

This has been very interesting reading. Thank you for asking this question.

I was born and mostly raised in central Ca lived anywhere from Avenal to Livingston and most places in-between. I loved it as a child and probably would have as an adult but my folks moved to muldrow, Ok. when I was a teenager. I loved Ok. and everything about it but after 4 years we moved back to Ca. where I spent the next 20 in misery. The summers are too hot and dry, in the winters the fog was horrid. People were unfriendly unless they wanted something from you. To much crime, drugs and gangs. I brought DH to Ky. for a vacation and then moved here one year later. I'm still looking for something to hate about it. We have 4 seasons, plenty of rain and friendly folks everywhere. I love small town life. Ok there is one thing I'm really starting to dislike and that is these cotton picking storms we have been having lately. I may need to go buy a boat because they are talking about having catastrophic flooding over the next few days. Anybody want to rent my family a room in their home? LOL!!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:51 PM

I was born in Beaumont, Texas, moved to Austin, Texas, at the age of 4. Moved to Houston, Texas, at the age of 12, and have lived in the Houston area ever since. Lived in Spring, Texas, a suburb of Houston, then moved to Magnolia, Texas, another suburb of Houston. Love this area.. yes, we have hot summers, but the winters aren't bad at all. We're close to the big city, but live in a country atmosphere, with deer in the back yard, love it, love it, love it!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM

I don't like where I live because there is no shopping a all.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 AM

I currently live in Mississippi and love it! The people are so friendly. It is very hot and humid in the summer (thank God for a/c) but the winters are fantastic. I did wear a coat last winter but that is rare. We actually had snow, another rarity. I've lived in Texas (Dallas area) and liked it but not loved it. The traffic was crazy.

Lived in Colorado and loved it best of all. Didn't like the high prices for real estate, but that is to be expected.

Lived in Kansas and loved it. I love the casualness and work hard attitude in Kansas. The Frontier spirit is still there. Lots of very small towns. Didn't like driving 2 hours for a 24 hr grocery.

Lived in Arkansas, it was pretty and it was cheap. Still had the driving for hours to shop for groceries at a big store.

Lived in Tennessee, my home. Love Tennessee. My dream is to live in the Smokies.

Lived in Kansas City, MO. Liked it a lot. Shopping was really fun. Traffic wasn't miserable or crazy. A little too much snow for me.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:29 AM

Love the really long days in summer when it's still light at 10pm, hate the dark, gloomy winter (sunrise at 9am, sunset at 3:30pm).

Hate the weather, especially this last winter when we had snow and ice. Every decade or so we get a lovely warm dry summer. Love those!

We call it Rip-Off Ireland for good reason, so the cost of everything is another real negative.

And there are no real quilt shops. Major negative!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
Hi from downunder (Australia) best place in the world to us.. Was born & bred in Queensland which is referred to as God's country. Have lived in most states and been to all except Tasmania as DH was in Air Force.
Happily retired now and back in Queensland. As some others said, no place like home.

Learned that any place is what you make of it.
Have to agree with you. Also born and bred in Queensland and like you have been to or lived in most states of Australia. DH was also in Air Force and so was I. Love the lifestyle here and the not so cold winters. Queensland is definitely the best place to be.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 AM

We traveled a lot with my husband's job and lived in some great cities and met some wonderful people. From the beginning of our marriage we knew that we would end up on the ranch that belonged to my husband's grandparents and then his mom. 200 acres in the Hill Country.

We built a house out here 7 years ago and came for weekends and vacation. In the process of building and visiting we discovered that my MIL had memory issues. I quit my job as an RN, moved into the ranch house and started tending to the needs of his mother (she lived in a different house on the ranch). She is now in assisted living and I am still on the ranch. DH is still working 4.5 hours away.

What I love is the quiet, peace, critters, cows and our two Miniature Donkeys, Riley and Walker who practically follow me into the house for treats. I love our two wonderful dogs.

I hate that my husband isn't here all the time and I HATE the drought we are in. I worry about fires (all it takes is one idiot throwing a cigarette butt out the car window to start a fire that could ruin lives, homes, animals, etc).
I worry about all of the creatures on the land finding food and water.

A bit long-winded, sorry.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Swap Hosts

Born and raised in Long Island, NY. The section where I grew up had a huge field and beautiful trees and I loved that about it. Now everything has changed and there is that "sameness" you see across the country especially in the downtown areas.

Lived in Brooklyn, NY and in Manhattan during my 20s in lofts and brownstones. Perfect for starving musicians and artists. Loved the fast pace and 24/7 life. Now it's unaffordable, crime ridden and dirty.

Now I live on a barrier beach island to the south of Long Island. It's warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer which I love. You can pretty much walk everywhere. Everyone knows everyone. What I don't like is that everyone knows everyone, the ever-increasing rules and lack of access to the water as the island becomes more gentrified, the taxes, the dirty politics and the fear of being washed away when the next big hurricane comes.